Epstein files unsealed: Thousands of accusers' documents have been released from the defamation suit against his ex-girlfriend and alleged 'pimp'
- Court documents unsealed Friday reveal thousands of documents concerning Jeffrey Epstein's accuser Virginia Roberts Guiffre and her defamation suit against his ex-girlfriend, associate, and alleged "pimp" Ghislaine Maxwell.
- A 2015 case between Guiffre and Maxwell occurred after Guiffre accused Epstein of sex trafficking her, with Maxwell participating, after which Maxwell called Guiffre a liar.
- Guiffre then sued Maxwell for defamation, and a total of 167 documents with thousands of pages combined were filed under seal.
- Maxwell motioned for a summary judgment in January 2017 and two months later, the district court in Florida denied her motion with a largely redacted 76-page opinion.
- "Guiffre v. Maxwell" was settled in May 2017.
- Read more of Business Insider's coverage of Jeffrey Epstein.
Thousands of court documents were unsealed Friday morning from the 'Guiffre v. Maxwell' defamation suit filed in the Southern District of Florida district court in 2015.At the time of filing, Virginia Roberts Guiffre had emerged as one of wealthy financier's Jeffrey Epstein's most visible accusers, accusing his ex-girlfriend and close associate Ghislaine Maxwell, a British socialite, of participating in her abuse.Advertisement
Maxwell publicly called Guiffre a liar, after which Guiffre sued her for defamation, and a total of 167 documents containing thousands of pages were filed under seal. Maxwell's motion for a summary judgment, filed in January 2017, was denied by the district court in a largely redacted 76-page opinion.was settled in May 2017, and the unsealing of the court documents comes as Epstein and the Southern District of New York are preparing cases for and against the financier, who is accused on federal counts of sex trafficking and conspiracy. Epstein is currently being held in custody without bail, and has pleaded not guilty.
The "Guiffre v. Maxwell" court documents are expected to contain pertinent information concerning Epstein's purported sex trafficking scheme, along with many of his high-profile associates and connections, including Prince Andrew, who has been pictured with Guiffre in widely disseminated photos. Guiffre has accused Prince Andrew of sexual assault, and has said the Epstein, in conjunction with Maxwell, loaned her out to his friends and associates for sex.
- Ebola makes a comeback in the Republic of Congo — which is already fighting the coronavirus and the world's largest outbreak of measles
- COVID-19: Over 38 pc of HP's active cases in Hamirpur
- Odisha reports highest single-day spike of 156 fresh COVID-19 cases
- 51 fresh COVID-19 cases in Jharkhand, total mounts to 661
- COVID-19: Bihar reports 138 fresh cases, 2 more deaths