Bank holidays in August add up to 15 days across India
- India's Independence Day, Muharram, Raksha Bandhan, Janmashtami, and Parsi New Year, are some of the holidays in August.
- Banks are closed on Sundays, and second and fourth Saturdays.
- Check out the latest news and updates on Business Insider.
AdvertisementFrom Muharram, the first month of the Islamic calendar, which begins on August 20 to the harvest festival of Onam, from India's indepedence day to Janmashtami, which the Hindus believe to be the birthday of the deity, Lord Krishna, a whole host of festivals, anniversaries and holidays, both national and regional, will keep banks in many parts of the country for as many as 15 days this month.
As per the regulations by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), the banks are closed on Sundays, and second and fourth Saturdays. Keep track of the bank holidays given in the list below and plan your banking functions accordingly.
List of Bank Holidays in August 2021
|Day and date||Description of the holiday||Applicable in|
|Wednesday, 4 August 2021||Bonalu||Telangana|
|Sunday, 8 August 2021||Tendong Lho Rum Faat, Karkidaka Vavu||Sikkim and Kerala|
|Wednesday, 11 August 2021||Hariyali Teej||Haryana|
|Friday, 13 August 2021||Patriot’s day||Manipur|
|Saturday, 14 August 2021||Second Saturday||All over India|
|Sunday, 15 August 2021||Independence Day||All over India|
|Monday, 16 August 2021||De Jure Transfer Day||Pondicherry|
|Tuesday, 17 August 2021||Parsi New Year||Gujarat and Maharashtra|
|Thursday, 18 to 19 August 2021||Ashura||Many states across India|
|Thursday, 18 to 22 August 2021||Jhulan Purnima||Many states|
|Thursday, 19 August 2021||Muharram||Many states across India|
|Friday, 20 August 2021||First Onam||Kerala|
|Saturday, 21 August 2021||Thiruvonam||Kerala|
|Sunday, 22 August 2021||Raksha Bandhan||Many states in India|
|Sunday, 22 August 2021||Jhulan Purnima, Indra Jatra||Jhulan Purnima in Odisha and West Bengal Indra Jatra in Sikkim|
|Saturday, 28 August 2021||Ayyankali Jayanthi||Kerala|
|Monday, 30 August 2021||Janmashtami||Many states in India|
These seven Indian states face the highest risk of a spike in COVID-19 infections and stricter restrictions
COVID-19 cases in Kerala are spiking due to good detection, better reporting and early easing of restrictions
From the US to Western Europe to New Zealand — natural disasters which wreaked havoc in the last 6 months
Droom founder explains why he is considering a US IPO and where he intends to spend the money
Popular on BI
- More than half of India's blue-collared employees suffer unequal wage access, earn below ₹15K per month: Report
- Bahubali writer Vijayendra Prasad's nominated to the Rajya Sabha
- Indian taxes on cottage cheese will hit the cottage industry and dairy lovers alike
- Infosys to lead the pack this earnings season while margin pressure will continue for two quarters
- Best mop for home in India