DIGITAL IDENTITY AND THE FUTURE OF BANKING: How digital identity can slash the costs of onboarding and regulatory compliance by up to 70% for banks
- This is a preview of The Digital Identity And The Future Of Banking research report from Business Insider Intelligence.
- Purchase this report.
- Business Insider Intelligence offers even more insights like this with our brand new Banking coverage. Subscribe today to receive industry-changing banking news and analysis to your inbox.
Identity verification underlies many of the core processes associated with financial services, with banks required to subject their customers to strict identity checks, both to protect those users' finances and to meet regulatory compliance demands.
There have been a plethora of efforts aimed at streamlining identity verification online, but these attempts have largely failed to address the issue in its entirety. For example, customers are often required to create unwieldy passwords and verification details that can be difficult to keep track of to access their accounts. Not only have these efforts created new points of friction for users, but they're also expensive for banks, with each password reset costing up to $70 according to Forrester Research estimates.
These issues run deeper than password reset costs, though: Banks spend billions annually on compliance requirements related to identity verification, while agile and technology-first players are snapping at these players' heels by streamlining how they offer services to banks' customers.
However, digital ID solutions can help iron out these identity verification headwinds, in the process providing a foundation for banks to bat away the growing threat to their core business from industry insurgents. Digital IDs, when done right, can help banks ease identity verification pain points for their customers while also helping them slash operational and compliance costs.
These reasons alone are sufficient for banks to take the lead in developing digital ID schemes. But the identity verification challenge isn't limited to financial services, and banks that are successful in developing their own digital ID solutions can tap into new business opportunities as trusted providers of identity solutions across a whole range of industries, from e-commerce to healthcare and public services.
In the DIGITAL IDENTITY AND THE FUTURE OF BANKING report, Business Insider Intelligence defines digital ID and discusses the technologies used to deliver the solution, and lays out the case for why banks have a compelling reason - and are best suited - to take the lead on digital identity. This report will illustrate how these players can go about developing scalable and effective digital ID solutions to solve genuine pain points in their own business and take advantage of the opportunities that digital identity infrastructures open up.
The companies mentioned in this report are: Barclays, Belfius, BNP Paribas Fortis, Capital One, CIBC, Danske Bank, Desjardins, First American Corporation, Handelsbanken, ING, KBC/CBC, Mastercard, Microsoft, Orange, Proximus, Rabobank, RBC, Scotiabank, Signicat, SkandiaBanken, Sparbanken Gripen, Telenet, TD Bank.
Here are some of the key takeaways from the report:
- Digitization - driven by agile and innovative fintechs, regulations, and falling costs of technologies like smartphones - has transformed how customers interact with their banks.
- But efforts to realize the full benefits of digitization are being stymied by inefficient identification processes, which are creating new pain points for banks and their customers.
- Digital ID solutions, which contain the set of information that can be used on digital channels to accurately identify a person, can help solve these pain points for consumers.
- If done well, banks will be the biggest beneficiaries of digital IDs, because these solutions can help them slash onboarding and compliance costs while also allowing them to tap into new revenue opportunities.
In full, the report:
- Details the key challenges with existing identity verification solutions.
- Identifies how digital IDs can help eliminate existing identity verification pain points.
- Explores how digital IDs can unlock new revenue streams for banks.
- Canvases a number of successful digital ID efforts undertaken by banks, and provides an example of a failed project to highlight the role banks can play in solving the vexing identity verification challenge.
Interested in getting the full report? Here's how to get access:
- Purchase & download the full report from our research store. >> Purchase & Download Now
- Sign up for Banking Pro, Business Insider Intelligence's expert product suite tailored for today's (and tomorrow's) decision-makers in the financial services industry, delivered to your inbox 6x a week. >> Get Started
- Join thousands of top companies worldwide who trust Business Insider Intelligence for their competitive research needs. >> Inquire About Our Enterprise Memberships
- Current subscribers can read the report here.
- Girish Mathrubootham, the son of a retired bank officer who built a $13 billion company in just 10 years
- A couple who traveled to 48 states in an RV share 17 things they would never go on a trip without
- The Taliban is bringing back executions and cutting off hands as punishment after retaking control of Afghanistan
- We asked three spacetech entrepreneurs what it takes to enter the field and they listed out the opportunities
- Ethereum’s scaling issues strike again as TIME Magazine’s NFTs sell for 30 times their price
- Best baby swing cradle and chair in India
- China's FUD drags down Bitcoin, Ether and other cryptocurrencies yet again
- The India Chapter of the International Advertising Association elects Megha Tata as its President for a second term