Germany is officially heading in the wrong direction
Germany's economy is officially headed in the wrong direction and has slipped back into deflation, official figures released on Friday morning showed.
CPI inflation, calculated on a harmonised basis, fell by 0.2% on a year-on-year basis during February, confirming the earlier snap reading of the same figure.
That reading was down from growth of 0.4% in January. Economists had expected CPI to remain at 0.4% last month, so the drop back into deflation is a big surprise. Here's the chart:
On a month-by-month basis, CPI inflation actually rose by 0.4%, while the headline CPI figure was 0% year-on-year.
Germany's economy is traditionally regarded as the powerhouse of Europe, with the country having a far higher GDP than any other nation on the continent. Earlier this month, George Friedman, the founder of Geopolitical Futures warned Business Insider that Germany's economy could be the next big problem for Europe, and today's figures suggest that might be the case.
The country's return to deflation will also be particularly worrying to the European Central Bank, which yesterday announced a huge set of new monetary policies aimed, once again, at boosting flagging growth and stagnant inflation across Europe. The measures included cuts to all of the ECB's key rates, and an expanded programme of bond buying.
- Bharti Airtel, HDFC, Zee Entertainment among stocks to watch out for on May 27
- eMudhra IPO: Here’s how you can check the allotment status
- Heatwave is gone and heavy rainfall, hailstorms in the next 5 days — IMD issues alert
- Retail inflation could soften by 50-60 basis points on government interventions: CARE
- Tata Steel, JSW, SAIL and JSPL will lose half of their export biz as government wages war on inflation
- Delhivery IPO allotment
- Reliance Retail
- Bitcoin Mining
- Reliance JIO
- Best Deal on Smartphones
- Unacademy offline Classes
- Hubble Space
- 5G Phones Under Rs. 20000
- Paytm Market Value
- Reliance Industries
- Ambassador Electric Cars
- Hiring in BEL
- Adani Green
- Paradeep Phosphates balance sheet
- Spam Calls in India
- Whatsapp Reaction