Google is on to making web more meaningful for India, announces new products and features for Indian languages
Over the next 5 years, 9 out of 10 new internet users in India are likely to be Indian language users, finds out Google. And the focus on Indian languages has never been sharper.
Indian language internet users have grown from 42 million in 2011 to 234 million in 2016 even higher than English internet users, points out a study by
Google has been working on Indian languages for some time particularly Hindi which is also the most popular Indian language. The study predicts that by 2021, the number of Hindi internet users alone in India will be more than English users. Google has also announced the extension of Neural Machine Translation to Chrome browser’s built-in Auto-Translate functionality, making full-page translations more accurate and easier to read. This will enable Indian language speakers to consume all of the web’s content in nine Indian languages with higher quality translations of everything from song lyrics to news articles to cricket discussions. The new translation capability will also be available to users on Google search and Maps. All the reviews of restaurants or cafes or hotels—will appear in the language selected by the users on their device in addition to the original language of the review.
Google also rolled out new Gboard, the new keyboard for
While more and more users are coming online in India but there are still many challenges for the Indian language users, the study points out that high cost of internet and limited internet access are the primary reason why over 60% of the users drop out of internet, limited language support, difficulty in using English keyboards too are key challenges for Indian language users.
Popular on BI
- At least 21 people, mostly teens, were found dead in a South Africa bar. None of them had any visible wounds.
- Lay’s, Kurkure and Bingo are taking over Indian snacks like Aloo Bhujia, Murukku
- More than $100,000 raised for loyal Burger King employee of 27 years in GoFundMe campaign after video shows him getting 'goody' bag as reward
- Tata Motors to increase price of its commercial vehicle segment from July 1
- Best drilling machine for home use in India
- Atal Bihari Vajpayee's biopic is on the works based on the book, The Untold Vajpayee
- Google launches SOS alert to assist timely support in Assam flood - here’s how it works
- Parents beware: Coaching classes and edtechs make the most false claims