Here are the 10 fastest-growing work apps of 2018, according to $9 billion security company Okta
Okta. Used by permission.
Okta. Used by permission.
As it celebrates its 10th anniversary this week, Okta, the $9 billion security and identity management company, has released its annual report of the fastest-growing work apps of the year.
This is the fifth year that Okta, which now has over 100 million users, has released this annual report. Okta provides identity and access management solutions - in other words, it helps companies manage who has access to which apps. By that token, it's in a pretty good position to track which apps are on the rise in the workplace.
Okta CEO and co-founder Todd McKinnon says that the company has been able to track the rise of Slack, which went from zero to a fixture of the enterprise software space in only a few years. Now, Slack is listed on the report as one of the most popular apps of 2018.
"It's interesting to talk about and interesting for people think about their technology landscape," McKinnon told Business Insider. "We really started doing this report because customers were asking for it. A customer might say, 'We've grown really fast. What do other customers that are twice as big use?'"
In the past year, McKinnon has seen a greater emphasis on security-based work apps than in the past.
"People are using more security technologies," McKinnon told Business Insider. "Everyone's worried about making headlines and having employees get phishing attacks."
McKinnon says that compared to 10 years ago, people have lost trust in technology, thanks to an increasing number of privacy and security breaches in the news. That's why demand for security apps is on the rise.
"In the last ten years, there's been more technical progress, mobile phones, all that," McKinnon said. "What's changed is that people trust technology less now. We want to bring trust back to technology. That's what we're trying to do."
Here are the 10 fastest-growing apps of 2018, according to Okta:
- 'Texting between iPhone and Android is broken:' Google puts Apple on blast for converting Android texts to green bubbles and 'blurry' compressed videos
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 beta arrives next month – here’s how to get early access
- Indian diamantaires want to make lab-grown diamonds a woman’s best friend
- OPINION: World Biofuel Day — Can biofuel help sustainably meet the growing energy needs of India?
- Kotak Mahindra rolls out a lifestyle focused salary account
- Trading on Indian crypto exchange WazirX drops by over 55%, WRX token loses sheen
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4, Z Flip 4, Watch 5 series, and Buds 2 Pro launched: Check price, specifications and photos
- Will Aamir Khan’s Laal Singh Chaddha be the box of chocolates Bollywood is waiting for?