Here's what caused Nicki Minaj to shut down a New York Times interview
New York Times
The rapper didn't appreciate a line of questioning about some of the men from the label she belongs to, Cash Money Records. Grigoriadis asked questions about Minaj's boyfriend Meek Mill's beef Meek with rapper Drake, and rapper Lil' Wayne's $51 million lawsuit against label co-founder Birdman.
''They're men, grown-ass men,'' Minaj told Grigoriadis. ''It's between them.'' How does it make you feel, I ask? ''I hate it,'' she said. ''It doesn't make me feel good. You don't ever want to choose sides between people you love. It's ridiculous. I just want it to be over.''
If Grigoriadis would've stopped there, she probably could've asked a lot more questions of the rapper. But, she ended up asking a question that Minaj felt was "disrespectful," "stupid," and " premeditated."
'Is there a part of you that thrives on drama, or is it no, just pain and unpleasantness," Grigoriadis asked.
''That's disrespectful,'' Minaj answered. ''Why would a grown-ass woman thrive off drama?''
She later added, ''What do the four men you just named have to do with me thriving off drama? Why would you even say that? That's so peculiar. Four grown-ass men are having issues between themselves, and you're asking me do I thrive off drama?''
Grigoriadis said she wished she could take back the question, but it was too late. Minaj's temper was fast and she began to ask questions about the reporter's intentions.
She then added, ''To put down a woman for something that men do, as if they're children and I'm responsible, has nothing to do with you asking stupid questions, because you know that's not just a stupid question. That's a premeditated thing you just did.''
It was here where she shut down the interview. "I don't care to speak to you anymore," Minaj concluded.
In retrospect, the reporter said she understands why Minaj reacted that way.
"Even though I had no intention of putting her down as a small-minded or silly woman, she was right to call me out," Grigoriadis wrote.
- Google’s birthday: Here's a look at the significant milestones in Google's 23-year history
- Aditya Birla AMC IPO’s grey market premium stands at ₹70 per share; up 10% from issue price band
- WATCH: "Someone said I am good enough to be a rickshaw puller," shares Freshworks CEO Girish Mathrubootham in a candid chat
- MyGlamm has set aside $100 million to acquire 6 beauty and personal care brands under new entity
- After Moderna chief, Pfizer CEO says COVID-19 likely to end in a year
- Like many 23-year-olds, Google is facing ‘trust’ issues
- COVID-19: Mizoram's positivity rate at 32% after 1,659 new cases registered in the state
- IPL 2021: Mumbai Indians slips down to seventh spot after losing a match to RCB