I tried Oreo frozen desserts at 7 major fast-food chains, and the winner was clear
- Adding Oreos to soft-serve ice cream is usually a recipe for magic.
- I tried the Oreo blended frozen desserts at McDonald's, Burger King, Dairy Queen, Wendy's, Chick-Fil-A, Shake Shack, and Checkers to see which was tastiest.
- I rated them on a scale of one to five, comparing their appearance, cookie-to-cream ratio, texture, and overall taste.
- McDonald's Oreo McFlurry was a clear winner, with its great cookie-to-cream ratio and overall satisfying taste and texture.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The formula seems simple: Oreos + soft serve = profit.
But one Oreo blended frozen dessert isn't the same as the next Oreo blended frozen dessert. I say blended frozen dessert because not all of the competing chains sell a frozen treat that qualifies as ice cream.
The success of an OBFD (because Oreo blended frozen dessert is a brain freeze-inducing mouthful) is dependent on several things: the quality of its frozen dairy dessert base, the size and quantity of the Oreo chunks mixed in, and how well the two elements are blended together.
In search of the queen of all OBFDs, I traveled throughout the empire with a glass shoe in hand. And by glass shoe, of course I mean my stomach. And my lactose pills.
On a scale of one to five, my criteria were appearance, cookie-to-cream ratio, texture, and taste.
I journeyed far and wide through the kingdoms of McDonald's, Burger King, Dairy Queen, Wendy's, Chick-fil-A, Shake Shack, and Checkers in order to find the one. And several thousand lactic calories later, I sure did.
The prices reflect those at New York locations of each chain. Prices may vary depending on location.