I tried Wendy's iconic Spicy Chicken Nuggets for the first time to see why fans have been demanding their return - and they lived up to the hype
Irene Jiang / Business Insider
- On Monday, Wendy's brought back its spicy chicken nuggets in response to overwhelming demand from fans.
- When I went to try the spicy nuggets at my local Wendy's, they were sold out. I called around until I found a Wendy's in Manhattan that still had them.
- After trying the spicy nuggets, I understood why they're so popular. They're as crispy and juicy as Wendy's regular chicken nuggets, but with a spicy kick that makes them positively addictive.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
They're back - and they're just as hot as ever.On Monday, Wendy's brought back its spicy chicken nuggets after persistent calls from millions of fans. Wendy's removed the spicy nuggets from its menu in 2017, citing a lack of demand.Advertisement
But when Wendy's posted on Twitter saying that if 2 million people liked a tweet it would bring spicy nuggets back, the tweet surpassed 2 million likes. True to its word, Wendy's brought its spicy chicken nuggets back.
Where there is a new menu item, there's also an opportunity to eat the new menu item. Just a week ago, I'd tried the chicken nuggets from six fast-food chains, and Wendy's won. So my expectations were pretty high.Read more: I ate chicken nuggets from 6 fast-food chains, and the best were also the cheapest
I went to my regular Wendy's in Manhattan's Financial District to try the spicy chicken nuggets.They were sold out already.I called around and found another Wendy's still had spicy nuggets, so I hopped on the subway and brought two 10-piece nuggets back to Business Insider's office.Advertisement
The Spicy Chicken Nuggets look like normal Wendy's chicken nuggets, except with a red tinge.
They were hot and fresh, just like the plain nuggets I had earlier.Advertisement
The spicy battered shell was crispy and the chicken inside was as flavorful and juicy as ever.
The spice didn't kick in until the bite settled. It builds pleasantly in the back of your throat.Advertisement
They weren't overwhelmingly spicy. But they were far from mild.
They had a balanced, satisfying kick that made it easy to reach for one after another.Advertisement
I ate way more of them than I should have.
But I wasn't the only one.Advertisement
The power of the spicy chicken nugget is undeniable. Wendy's did its fans a solid by bringing them back. Let's hope they stay for good this time.
- Coolest remote control cars for kids
- Best wireless mouse for a clutter-free experience
- Best budget point and shoot cameras in India for 2020
- A look back at top Independence Day speeches from erstwhile Indian Prime Ministers
- Mobile Premier League is the principal sponsor for KKR and TKR for IPL and CPL