IBM just replaced its chief financial officer
- IBM veteran James J. Kavanaugh will take over as CFO.
- Kavanaugh replaces Martin J. Schroeter, who's served as CFO since 2014. Schroeter will take on the role as SVP of global markets.
- Both role changes went into effect Thursday, according to the filing.
Kavanaugh, who served as senior vice president of transformation and operations, replaces Martin J. Schroeter, who had served as CFO since 2014. Schroeter will take on the role of senior vice president of global markets.Advertisement
IBM just quietly prompted artificial intelligence veteran James J. Kavanaugh to the role of chief financial officer, according to a form filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Thursday.
The change went into effect on Thursday. Both Kavanaugh and Schroeter will lead IBM's upcoming earnings report on January 18, according to the filing.
"It's very common for IBM to make senior executive changes at the start of the year, so this is not out of the ordinary in that sense," an IBM spokesperson told Reuters, confirming the move.Kavanaugh first joined IBM from AT&T in 1996, and has held a number of different executive roles since..
His most recent role focused on "enabling IBM's transformation to a data driven cognitive enterprise," according to his company profile. At IBM, "cognitive" refers to the company's work in artificial intelligence and machine learning, including its Jeopardy-winning computer system Watson. IBM sees AI as a key driver of its growth.News of the transition comes just hours after a report that IBM plans to lay off 30% of the staff in its computer service delivery business, which would affect around 3,090 jobs. IBM has not so far commented on the report. Get the latest IBM stock price here.Advertisement
- Samsung may skip in-box phone chargers from early next year
- Gangster Vikas Dubey arrested in Ujjain
- Sit with colleagues in same room with Microsoft Teams, share emojis
- How Duroflex managed to expand its retail presence during the lockdown when the brandverse shied away from it
- How to monetize on your brand communications during and after the pandemic?