Inside Microsoft's ambitious plan to build the future of Xbox, from a Netflix-style gaming service with blockbuster games to brand-new consoles
- Microsoft recently revealed the codename of its next Xbox console as Project Scarlett. It's scheduled to launch in holiday 2020.
- Alongside a codename and a release window, we learned a ton of details about what to expect from the next-generation Xbox console.
- The company also gave the press its first chance to try out the Netflix-style game streaming service, Project xCloud.
- We spoke with Xbox leader Phil Spencer immediately following the press event for more details on the future of Xbox.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
When it comes to game consoles, Microsoft's Xbox One has been handily defeated by Sony's PlayStation 4 - the latter boasts nearly 100 million sold, while Microsoft outright stopped reporting Xbox console sales numbers.
Estimates put the Xbox One somewhere in the range of 30 to 60 million sold. It's no slouch, but Microsoft's game console isn't likely to catch up.
And that's why it's good news for Microsoft that a new Xbox is just over the horizon.
Xbox leader Phil Spencer, above, detailed the next-generation Xbox console - currently codenamed "Project Scarlett" - in Los Angeles last week.
Business Insider was there, and we spoke with Spencer directly afterward about the future of Xbox.
Get the latest Microsoft stock price here.
The big push with Xbox, Spencer said, is choice: Microsoft wants to sell you games on a console, through a streaming service, or on a PC.
The next Xbox console — Project Scarlett — will offer cross-generational support for at least some games.
The "Netflix of gaming" streaming service, Project xCloud, is likely to have its own library — just like Netflix.
For now, there's only one new Xbox console coming, contrary to rumors of multiple boxes in the works, as well as Spencer's own statements last year.
Check out the full reveal of Project Scarlett in this new video from Microsoft:
- Call of Duty will continue to be available on PlayStation after Microsoft completes Activision acquisition
- ICC T20 World Cup 2022: India vs Pakistan match to be held on October 23 at MCG
- Russia crypto ban fears sparks FUD – Cardano and Avalanche hit the hardest
- Shoppers Stop shares jump 15% after company reports its first profit in more than two years
- Logicserve Digital eyes to achieve 100% growth this year by focusing on Corporate Empathy Relationship