'Inside Out' sets record for biggest original box office debut; 'Jurassic World' will be fastest to $1 billion
The film's $91.1 million domestic opening weekend makes "Inside Out" the largest debut ever for an original property (a non-sequel and non-sourced work). That surpasses the previous record holder, 2009's "Avatar," which opened with $77 million.Projections last week had "Inside Out" grossing in the neighborhood of $60 million over the weekend, but thanks to overwhelming critical response and a 51% drop in ticket sales for "Jurassic World," the film is the second biggest Pixar opening. Behind "Toy Story 3," which had an opening weekend of $110.3 million.Advertisement
But that doesn't mean "Jurassic World" - which had the highest-grossing opening weekend ever last week - didn't do well its second weekend in theaters.
Chuck Zlotnick/Universal Pictures
"Furious 7" currently has the record, taking only 17 days to do it."World" will likely do it in 13 days.
- Best pop up camera smartphones in India for a distraction free viewing experience
- Bird poop worth $470 million is at risk — could hold the key to saving seabirds across the world
- COVID crashed profit and Pidilite couldn’t fix it— yet
- There are five companies making Favipiravir now — and it is good for supply and prices
- Best 5,000mAh battery smartphones