2 of Israel's elite commanders and many officers have been killed in the Hamas war launched from Gaza: says IDF
- Col. Jonathan Steinberg, commander of Israel's Nahal Brigade was killed fighting Hamas, the IDF said.
- Col. Roi Levy, head of the elite Multidimensional unit, known as the "Ghost" unit, was also killed.
An Israeli commander was among dozens of soldiers killed in fighting with Hamas militants, Israel's military said on Sunday.
"The Commander of the Nahal Brigade, COL Jonathan Steinberg was killed today during a confrontation with a terrorist," the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said in a post on X, formerly known as Twitter.
Steinberg, 42, was killed during an "exchange of fire" near Kerem Shalom in southern Israel on the border with Gaza, an IDF spokesperson told Israel National News.
The 933rd Nahal Brigade is one of the IDF's main infantry brigades.
The IDF released the names of 44 soldiers killed in the fighting, of which Steinberg was among the most senior. Twenty-one other military officers were named, so far.
Steinberg is one of the most senior Israeli officers killed in combat in recent memory, The Times of Israel said.
The IDF also said that Col. Roi Levy, the head of the elite Multidimensional unit, also known as the "Ghost" unit, was killed on Saturday, per The Times of Israel.
Levy died in fighting in the southern community of Re'im as he battled Hamas fighters, and 10 of them were killed in the exchange, the IDF said.
—Emanuel (Mannie) Fabian (@manniefabian) October 8, 2023
Hamas bombarded Israel with rockets and its fighters conducted a multi-pronged surprise attack from the land, sea, and air on Saturday.
Israel declared a "state of war" and began bombarding the Gaza Strip in response.
Reported death toll figures are conflicting and constantly rising. Over 500 Israelis are reported to have been killed, the BBC said, citing Israeli media. Palestinian officials say that at least 313 people have been killed in Gaza.
- Instagram's crisis highlights the bigger issues the entire ad industry is facing
- The 10-year Treasury yield will drop to 3.5% by the end of next year as the massive bond rally will continue, UBS says
- Exit polls predict BJP advantage in MP, Rajasthan, Congress win in Chhattisgarh, Telangana and tight contest in Mizoram
- Souvenirs from Hampi: 8 must-buy treasures to remember your journey
- International air travel penetration remains low in India: CAPA
- "Meeting friends is always a delight": PM Modi reacts to 'Melodi' selfie shared by Italian counterpart Georgia Meloni
- WhatsApp testing new feature that lets you search users by their username
- Delhi airport: Flights diverted due to bad smog, bad weather