At least 138 peaceful protesters have been killed in Myanmar since a February 1 coup, according to the UN
- Security forces in
Myanmarhave escalated the violence at anti-coup protestsin past weeks.
- The UN announced Monday at least 138 peaceful protesters had been killed since February.
- The agency said at least nine of those deaths were children.
The United Nations announced Monday at least 138 "peaceful protesters" had been killed since Myanmar's junta took over. Pro-democracy demonstrations have escalated in recent weeks, turning increasingly deadly as security forces have turned to tear gas, stun grenades, and live ammunition in their crackdown against anti-coup protesters.
UN spokeswoman Stephane Dujarric said the new death toll includes 38 people who were killed in Myanmar's largest city, Yangon, on Sunday - one of the deadliest days of protests so far - as well as 18 people killed on Saturday, according to the Associated Press.
In a Monday statement, Dujarric said UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres was "appalled by the escalating violence ... at the hands of the country's military." He said Myanmar's killing of demonstrators, arbitrary arrests, and the reported torture of prisoners all violate fundamental human rights.
Guterres urged the
The Special Envoy of the Secretary-General on Myanmar, Christine Schraner Burgener released a statement Sunday condemning the bloodshed and detailing "heartbreaking accounts" of the violence from her contacts on the ground.
"The ongoing brutality, including against medical personnel and destruction of public infrastructure, severely undermines any prospects for peace and stability," she said.
According to the UN Children's Fund, an estimated 700 children are among those arbitrarily detained and at least nine children are among those killed. The agency said in a Facebook statement March 11 that many of the arrested are being held without access to legal counsel, a violation of their human rights.
- I've had the new iPhone 14 for 2 weeks. I should've listened to Steve Jobs' daughter because I now regret buying it.
- China tells state banks to prepare for a massive dollar dump and yuan buying spree as Beijing's prior interventions have failed to stem its currency's worst year since 1994
- Here is a list of bank holidays in October 2022
- IISC joins hands with AIIMS Rishikesh to develop algorithm that can read brain scans to detect epilepsy
- Overlapping symptoms of dengue, Covid-19 confusing in many cases, say doctors
- Sterlite Technologies launches optical solution for 5G rollout
- NASA pushes back Artemis I Moon mission launch to November
- Auto sales jump in September: Maruti reports over a 100% jump in volumes
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World