More human skeletal remains uncovered in Lake Mead as the reservoir sinks to its lowest level since it was first filled in the 1930s
human remainswere found in Lake Mead as a severe droughtin the area prompts receding water levels.
- Skeletal remains were discovered in the sand at Callville Bay by two paddleboarders.
Human skeletal remains were uncovered in Lake Mead as receding water levels brought on by an extreme drought deemed to be the region's worst in at least a millennium by researchers.
On May 1, a body was found in a barrel in the man-made body of water in
Less than a week later, rangers with the National Park Service responded to a call about a second set of remains discovered in the reservoir Saturday afternoon. The remains were found in the sand at Callville Bay and sent to the Clark County Medical Examiner to determine cause of death, according to a statement from NPS.
The skeletal remains were discovered by two sisters who were paddleboarding in the area.
"At first I thought it was a bighorn sheep and then we started digging around a little bit and as we discovered the jaw, we realized it was human remains and that's when we contacted park rangers to come and investigate," Lindsey Melvin told local outlet KLAS.
Lynette Melvin said she was in "disbelief" that she and her sister had "actually found human remains."
The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police told KLAS that there is "no evidence to suggest foul play" in connection to the remains found over the weekend.
Lake Mead, a man-made reservoir created by the
According to a study published in February in the journal Nature Climate Change, the "megadrought" affecting southwestern North America from the years 2000 to 2021 has been the driest 22-years since at least 800 CE — the same year Charlemagne was crowned the Emperor of the Roman Empire.
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- A former Twitter engineer said they watched colleagues 'drop like flies' from a virtual meeting during Elon Musk's mass layoffs
- I'm a software engineer who struggled with procrastination until I tried 'monk mode' — here's how it saves me up to 3 hours a day
- Posh neighborhoods, fabulous views, and heated infinity swimming pools: luxury real estate in India is booming
- OnePlus Nord CE 3 Lite 5G and Nord Buds 2 to launch on April 4 – Here’s all you need to know
- Amazon Convertible Fest sale – Best deals on convertible ACs and refrigerators
- Govt intervention critical to remove green financing barriers, IPCC report stresses as we move towards 3.5°C warming
- BYJU's set to raise $250 million, at a lower valuation