Nancy Pelosi became a viral meme after the House Speaker tore up the president's State of the Union speech
MANDEL NGAN/AFP via Getty Images
- Nancy Pelosi reigned over social media in the hours after President Donald Trump's State of the Union speech on Tuesday.
- The annual address began with a snubbed handshake, featured a break with congressional tradition, and ended with a ripped up speech.
- Pelosi has gone viral with a number of memes and hashtags both praising and criticizing her actions.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
President Donald Trump gave his third State of the Union speech on Tuesday, but it was Nancy Pelosi who dominated the conversation, sparking an assortment of hashtags and memes on social media.
The morning after Trump's annual address, which began with him denying Pelosi a handshake and ended with her tearing up his speech, the House Speaker was making waves across Twitter with viral hashtags, including #NancytheRipper, #NancyPelosiROCKS, #nancyisabadass, #PelosiTantrum, #PettyPelosi, and #PelosiDisgrace.
Reporters approached Pelosi as she departed Capitol Hill and inquired about why she tore up the document.
Because "it was a manifesto of mistruths," she said.
When asked if she would invite Trump to another State of the Union, Pelosi said, "Hopefully not. I'm expecting another president. Nine months from today."
Some people applauded her gumption.
Others weren't quite as tickled.
Pelosi also stole the show on Tuesday by breaking with congressional tradition by introducing Trump merely as "the president of the United States." In the past, House speakers have introduced the sitting commander-in-chief by saying that they have the "high privilege and distinct honor of presenting to you the president of the United States."
This isn't the first time Pelosi has shot to viral fame. The internet had some fun with the way she clapped after Trump's State of the Union address in 2019.
Me ripping up the study guide after failing the test: pic.twitter.com/HVPXObzpGG- Josh Silverman (@JoshMSilverman) February 5, 2020
When Columbia House sent me a bill after I got 12 CDs for a penny:- Jemele Hill (@jemelehill) February 5, 2020
Jean Valjean is nothing now!- MKB (@MatthewKBegbie) February 5, 2020
Another story must begin! pic.twitter.com/fIm3hBvjv7
Disappointed to see @SpeakerPelosi rip up the speech that mentioned lives we've lost and heroes we celebrated at the SOTU. No matter how you feel or what you disagree with, remember others are watching. This was unbecoming of someone at her level in office.- Nikki Haley (@NikkiHaley) February 5, 2020
Nancy Pelosi destroyed a historical record tonight at #SOTU- Dan Scavino (@DanScavino) February 5, 2020
The speech she ripped up was a one-of-a-kind record, signed by POTUS and full of stories of Bravery, Heroism and Patriotism. It belonged to the AMERICAN PEOPLE, not to her. What a disgusting display of raw partisanship! pic.twitter.com/CRXHPE6vdm
#NancyPelosiIsADisgrace. Ripping up the a copy of the State of the Union address to the American people was not only shameful but made her look like a complete disgrace in front of all the citizens watching. https://t.co/0a7ho45W8z- Jessie James Michael Vrooman (@Jessiejames_vro) February 5, 2020
When Trump tried to pass #DACA, this is what he got from democrats.- Tim Donnelly (@PatriotNotPol) February 5, 2020
When Trump tried to do anything good for America, this is what he got from democrats.
Remember that in #2020.
VOTE REPUBLICAN!@realDonaldTrump #Trump2020 #KAG #PelosiMeltdown pic.twitter.com/R3wyA453rt
#PettyPelosi symbolically rips up America's greatness. Why does she lead Democrats to hate the American people & the amazing prosperity and strength of our great nation? Why do Democrats follow? #ToreLoser #NancyTantrum #VoteRepublican https://t.co/lBiutfDbxp- Dr. Kelli Ward (@kelliwardaz) February 5, 2020
Here's that applause you so desperately need, boo. pic.twitter.com/cdt6tTQ4nf- R. Eric Thomas (@oureric) February 6, 2019
- A SpaceX flight attendant said Elon Musk exposed himself and propositioned her for sex, documents show. The company paid $250,000 for her silence.
- WazirX receives 1023 requests for data from law enforcement in October-March 2022
- Elon Musk was dating Amber Heard and finalizing a divorce around the time he's said to have sexually harassed a SpaceX flight attendant
- Researchers develop a virus that works even when iPhone is switched off
- Supreme Court of India extends time for submitting Pegasus probe report
- Chopper services launched in Goa for tourists, locals
- Both Ambuja Cements and ACC are bet worth investing with strong parent Adani
- Reserve Bank to pay ₹30,307 crore dividend payment to Centre for FY22