Toddler left orphaned in Highland Park July 4 shooting was saved by father, who used his body as a shield, grandfather says
- Two of the victims in the
Highland Park shootingwere the parents of toddler Aiden McCarthy.
- The father, Kevin McCarthy, died protecting his son, the father-in-law told The Chicago Sun-Times.
One of the victims of the July Fourth shooting in Highland Park, Illinois, used his own body to protect his two-year-old son from the 21-year-old shooting suspect.
Kevin McCarthy, 37, died shielding his son Aiden McCarthy, Michael Levberg, the man's father-in-law, told The Chicago Sun-Times. The child was not injured, CBS News reported.
"He had Aiden under his body when he was shot," Levberg said.
The boy's mother, and Levberg's daughter, Irina McCarthy, 35, also died in the
The tragic details of the moments just before the McCarthys' deaths come after parade-goers found Aiden wandering alone in the chaotic streets, covered in blood, according to CBS.
Lauren Silva, 38, and her boyfriend found the child, The Daily Beast reported.
Silva told the outlet that the child kept asking, "Are mom and dad coming back soon?"
Authorities later reported that his parents were victims of the shooting. Aiden has since been reunited with his grandparents.
An organizer set up a GoFundMe page to raise money for Aiden with permission from family members, according to the fundraising post.
"Aiden will be cared for by his loving family and he will have a long road ahead to heal, find stability, and ultimately navigate life as an orphan," the organizer wrote. "He is surrounded by a community of friends and extended family that will embrace him with love, and any means available to ensure he has everything he needs as he grows."
- Culinary odyssey: Exploring Kochi's 10 famous cuisines
- Scientists have finally figured out what happened to the lost continent ‘Argoland’ that went missing 155 million years ago
- Revamp your health in 2024: 10 Essential food habits for a better life
- Consistent inflows push small-cap funds AUM past Rs 2 lakh cr mark in Nov
- Ola Electric aims to raise nearly Rs 5,800 cr via IPO, to file DRHP