Video from India shows people dying on stretchers outside an overwhelmed hospital as COVID-19 cases surge
- A video from the BBC shows people dying on stretchers waiting for help at a New Delhi hospital.
- India's health services have been completely overwhelmed by a surge of COVID-19 cases.
- On Thursday, India reported a record 315,835 daily new COVID-19 cases.
Video from an overwhelmed hospital in India shows people dying on stretcher outside as the country struggles to cope with a surge in COVID-19 cases.A report from the BBC's Yogita Limaye, Fred Scott, and Sanjay Ganguly shows just how bad the situation is.
-BBC News (World) (@BBCWorld) April 22, 2021"My husband is in a very bad state, let me through," a woman says in the video, as she pulls her husband to the front of a line.
A man pleads with a health-care worker to go see his mother. His mother is found lying lifeless on a stretcher in an ambulance.The video shows a woman screaming "Balaji!," her brother's first name, as she shakes him to try and revive him after he lost consciousness while in the long queue to the hospital.
He died minutes later, the BBC said.India is struggling to manage a massive rise in COVID-19 cases. On Thursday, India reported 315,835 new cases, the most ever seen in a single day for any country. It has recorded more than 200,000 new cases every day for more than a week, Insider's Sinéad Baker reported.
Hospitals are struggling among shortages of beds and oxygens, some saying they only have a few hours' of oxygen supply left.
A vaccination campaign is underway. More than a 111 million have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine since January. But with a population of over a billion, that represents only 8% of the population, according to Our World in Data.People have taken to social media to document the chaos in the country. On Saturday, Vinay Srivastava, a journalist, died while live-tweeting his search for help.
- SBI, HDFC, ICICI and 12 others banks are joining forces to use blockchain to power Letters of Credit — a move that could be a boon for MSMEs
- Larsen & Toubro Infotech to buy Pune-based digital engineering firm CueLogic
- Canadian edtech unicorn ApplyBoard to 'step up' growth in India, raises $300 million in external investment
- Best 43-inch smart LED TVs for small and medium sized rooms
- Moderna's protein-based Covid jab and mRNA vaccine safe for use in children, says university study