Justice Katju ‘suggests’ new names for 18 Indian cities
Justice Katjumocked the UP governmentby posting a list of 18 Indian cities which could be given a new name. Markandey Katjurecommended that the central and state governments could rename other cities that are also named after Mughal emperors.
- The UP cabinet cited that they only changed the name due to popular demand from the people of the city.
One of those being the former Supreme Court Justice, Markandey Katju, who proposed changing names of 18 more Indian cities and replacing all the names that are attributed to ‘Babur ki Aulads’ (the sons of Babur).
I recommend to the Central and State Governments to change the names of all Indian cities named after Babur ki Aulads.— Markandey Katju (@mkatju) October 16, 2018
Hari Om pic.twitter.com/wMOM9wmmRK
Katju’s satirical twitter post showcased a list of cities which were potential candidates for a new name. Some of the recommendations include: Ahmedabad to Ashtavakra Nagar, Firozabad to Amitshahnagar, Hajipur to Hastinapur, Jamalpur to Jaiminipur, and even Ghaziabad to Ghatotkachnagar.
Apart from Justice Katju, Madras High Court and Chief Justice of Allahabad Delhi have also criticised the Uttar Pradesh (UP) government. Even Congress and the Samajwadi party are protesting the decision.
Akhilesh Yadav, the state’s former Chief Minister, slammed the UP government stating that current political leaders only show their work only by renaming cities. In contrast, some media reports claim that Yogi Adityanath has given Allahabad its former name ‘Prayag’ back.
Even Kumbh Mela 2019, one of the most-awaited events in the city, will sport banners will with Prayagraj as the name of the city instead of Allahabad.
This is not the first time that UP government has altered names. Earlier, Adityanath had renamed Mughalsarai junction in Agra to Deen Dayal Upadhyay Junction in order to give the railway station a ‘Hindu identity’.
- Space spacing and versatile foldable wardrobes
- Samsung Galaxy F series to launch in India during Flipkart Big Billion Days sale in October
- Sony WF-H800 truly wireless earbuds launched in India at ₹14,990
- Sensex down 7% this week, sees the second-worst fall this year— these are the reasons behind the sell-off
- Realme Narzo 20 Pro to on sale in India on September 25