Delhi’s voters will have to decide if full statehood is the answer to their problems
Though Delhi has its own ministers and legislature, the central government still controls the land, services, law and order.
This election, the
We have to take permission from the Central government for everything. Other states do not have to do this. We asked why, they said because Delhi is not a full state.
In the last five years, Delhi has seen two assembly elections, two lieutenant governors and plenty of discord over control of the city.
However, AAP isn’t the first political party to demand statehood for Delhi. Over the past twenty years, every leading political party in India promised statehood, which lead nowhere until the next election cycle.
BJP on Delhi’s statehood
...And, here’s whyAdvertisement
Congress, the late entrant
The powers of statehoodAdvertisement
Statehood or not, traders aren’t happy
Some candidates don’t need statehood to back them upAdvertisement
And, why AAP doesn’t need star power
Winter is comingAdvertisement
Speaking of waterAdvertisement
Critics issue warnings
Significance of polls in DelhiAdvertisement
- HM commanders channelised drug smuggling money in J&K to support terror activities: NIA
- What is gender lens investing? Sangita Reddy, Kiran Mazumdar Shaw, Nandini Piramal, and Vani Kola share their thoughts
- Luxury icons Sabyasachi and Oberoi open up about their 'perfectionist quirks' like checking the color of egg yolks and slashing clothes so they can’t hit the edit table
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi warns against complacency in the fight against COVID-19
- Best budget smartphone deals under ₹20,000 in the Amazon Great Indian Festival Sale 2020