One style lesson every guy can learn from the best-dressed man at the Golden Globes
The 36-year-old "La La Land" actor has always had great style, but it's nice to see his style evolution match his professional one.
Take, for instance, his red carpet-stealing black tie at the 2017 Golden Globe Awards January 8.
The problem with wearing black tie in 2017 is that it inherently feels nostalgic and old school. Even the most connected and metropolitan men probably only wear it as many times a year as you can count on one hand.
Leaning in to the nostalgia can be tempting when dressing in black tie, but it's important not to lean too far. Gosling strikes the perfect balance in his throwback ivory dinner jacket.
It's a daring one-button style that is less formal than the traditional two-button. It's paired with a matte bowtie instead of satin, and suede shoes instead of patent leather: two additional touches that take the formal factor down a notch. It all fits perfectly. This is black tie on his own terms.
He finishes it off with an atypical red boutineer.
All of these touches add up to a unique black tie tuxedo that is a nod to the rules and stated dress code, but that mixes it up in a way that is both interesting and appropriate. It shows that Gosling has a mastery of the rules, and knows how and when to break them.
He's been dressing in black tie for these award shoes long enough to know exactly what rules can be broken to augment his style while staying within bounds. It's worth noting that this isn't exclusive to black-tie dress.
Will following this guideline make you as stylish as Ryan Gosling? Probably not - he's had at least a decade to perfect it. But it can't hurt to start now.
NOW WATCH: Take a look at the new 12-sided £1 coin
- Sansera Engineering IPO — How to check allotment status, listing date and more
- The collapse of Evergrande, one of China’s largest home developers, is “not a Lehman moment” but the fear may haunt steel and metal stocks in India
- Amazon is investigating its lawyers for allegedly bribing Indian government officials
- Noise ropes in Taapsee Pannu as its brand ambassador for smart wearables
- Online fantasy gaming startup earns almost five times Dhoni's Chennai Super Kings
- Samsung's first F-series phone with 5G support, Galaxy F42, to launch soon
- 2021 Yamaha R15 V4.0, R15M, Aerox 155 launched in India — all you need to know
- Tara Sutaria to be the face of Olay India's premium skincare range