Amex Centurion lounges offer complimentary food, drink, and a comfortable place to relax before a flight - here's how you can get in
John Parra / Stringer / Getty Images
- If you have the Platinum Card® from American Express, the Business Platinum® Card from American Express, or the Centurion card, you can access Amex Centurion lounges.
- There are currently nine Centurion lounges at US airports, along with a location in Hong Kong and six more locations slated to open in 2020.
- Beyond offering a quiet place to relax before your flight, Centurion lounges boast premium food and drink options along with semi-private work areas.
- If you frequently travel through an airport with a Centurion lounge, it could be worth adding the Amex Platinum or the Business Platinum to your wallet.
- See Business Insider's list of the best travel rewards credit cards »
There are many reasons to sign up for an American Express Platinum or American Express Business Platinum card - from the valuable Amex Membership Rewards points you can earn to statement credits for airline incidental fees and more. To many frequent travelers, the best perk is access to a collection of airport lounges. Amex Centurion lounges are among the best in the world - here's everything you need to know about them.Keep in mind that we're focusing on the rewards and perks that make these credit cards great options, not things like interest rates and late fees, which will far outweigh the value of any points or miles. It's important to practice financial discipline when using credit cards by paying your balances in full each month, making payments on time, and only spending what you can afford to pay back.
What are American Express Centurion lounges?American Express operates its own network of lounges exclusively for premium Amex cardholders. Walking through the doors feels like being whisked into a completely different world than the loud, busy airport terminals with dirty bathrooms and other unpleasantries.
Lounges feature complimentary food, drinks, internet, and other luxury amenities at nine airports around the US and Hong Kong. Six more locations are currently in the works at some of the busiest airports business travelers are likely to visit.Each lounge may have different offerings, but all lounges have member services that can double as a travel concierge for your current and future trips. All locations have semi-private work areas and a computer bar with printer, fax, and copier access as well as TV, magazines, and newspapers. Some lounges offer spa services, wine tasting areas, conference rooms, shower suites, family areas, and luggage lockers.
How to access Amex Centurion lounges
You must have a Platinum, Business Platinum, or Centurion card to gain admission to this peaceful oasis in the otherwise bustling airport terminal. Cardholders can bring up to two guests or immediate family members. Day passes are available for $50 each if you want to bring additional guests.
$550 annual fee: Click here to learn more about the Amex Platinum card »
$595 annual fee: Click here to learn more about Amex Business Platinum card »
Crystal Cox/Business Insider
Food, drinks, and other Centurion lounge amenitiesI've been to a good number of airport lounges around the world, but few have been as impressive as the culinary experience at Centurion lounges, particularly for lounges in the US. The food, cocktails, and wine are a step above most other lounges, some by a longshot.
Menus are designed and inspired by award-winning executive chefs. Dishes change seasonally and are filled with flavor. During my last visit to a Centurion lounge in Philadelphia, food was fresh and refilled regularly. There were meat and vegetarian options, and even some good choices for kids.
At the bar, all drinks were included. These are not well drinks. You can enjoy signature cocktails, premium spirits, and a curated wine list. Remember, it's not free. You pay for it in your annual fee to American Express, so make sure to take full advantage!
Where to find an Amex Centurion loungeThe network of Centurion lounge locations leaves a bit to be desired, but there are six new lounges on the way. That's a big addition to the current locations, listed below:
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (Terminal D)
- Intercontinental Houston Airport (Terminal D)
- Las Vegas McCarran International Airport (Concourse D)
- Miami International Airport (Concourse D)
- New York LaGuardia Airport (Terminal B, pre-security)
- Philadelphia International Airport (Terminal A)
- San Fransisco International Airport (Terminal 3)
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (Concourse B)
- Hong Kong International (Terminal 1)
New locations have been announced at the following airports, and are scheduled to open by the end of 2020:
- Denver International Airport
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (New York)
- Los Angeles International Airport
- Charlotte Douglass International Airport
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport
- Heathrow Airport (London)
You can find additional American Express lounges outside of the Centurion brand as well. I've visited Amex lounges at the Javitz Center in New York and the Las Vegas Convention Center.For a full listing of lounges you can access with the Platinum card or Business Platinum card, check out the lounge search tool here.
Get a little more relaxation on the goTravel can be tiring and stressful, but it doesn't have to be an all-around bad experience. Even if you're not flying in a first- or business-class seat, you can get a first-class experience on the ground in an Amex Centurion lounge. If you travel frequently, particularly through any of the airports where you can find a Centurion lounge, applying for the Amex Platinum card, your ticket for admission, may be a great idea.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Personal Finance Insider team. We occasionally highlight financial products and services that can help you make smarter decisions with your money. We do not give investment advice or encourage you to adopt a certain investment strategy. If you take action based on one of our recommendations, we get a small share of the revenue from our commerce partners. This does not influence whether we feature a financial product or service. We operate independently from our advertising sales team.
Business Insider may receive a commission from The Points Guy Affiliate Network, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.
Please note: While the offers mentioned above are accurate at the time of publication, they're subject to change at any time and may have changed, or may no longer be available.
- Researchers develop new data transfer system ten times faster than USB
- Ayodhya's Ram Temple collects nearly ₹2,100 crore funds for its construction, says associated Trust
- Increase public health care budget in Maharashtra: Activists
- FPI invests ₹25,787 crore in Indian equities in February
- India records 16,752 fresh COVID-19 cases, biggest single-day jump in 30 days