The poorest 40% of Americans could receive benefits of over $3,000 under Biden's stimulus plan, new report finds
- The Penn Wharton Budget Model found that President Joe Biden's stimulus plan would provide over $3,000 in benefits to the poorest American households.
- The direct stimulus payments, expanding the child tax credit, and expanding the Early Income Tax Credit, would provide direct aid to 99% of the bottom households.
- Spending on the three provisions will increase GDP by about $172 billion, the report found.
President Joe Biden's $2 trillion stimulus plan would provide over $3,000 in benefits to households in the bottom 40% of incomes, according to the Penn Wharton Budget Model.
In a report released on Wednesday, the Penn Wharton Budget Model found that three provisions of Biden's stimulus plan - extending the child tax credit, direct stimulus payments, and extending the Earned Income Tax Credit - together would cost $595 billion in 2021 and provide direct aid to 99% of households in the bottom 80% of the income distribution.
"For those in the bottom 20 percent of the income distribution, the direct payments combined with the CTC and EITC expansions alone would boost after-tax incomes by over 50 percent," the report said.
Biden's plans to provide $1,400 stimulus checks, along with extending tax credits, continue to be debated by lawmakers and experts. The president on Wednesday indicated that he is willing to compromise on the eligibility - but not the size - of the stimulus payments, which counter the Republican proposal of $1,000 checks.
—President Biden (@POTUS) January 30, 2021
And in terms of the child tax credit, economists have disagreed on the merits of a monthly, fully refundable credit, but Democrats have drafted legislation to issue $300 monthly payments as part of the ongoing pandemic relief efforts.
The report estimated that spending on the three mentioned provisions will increase GDP by about $172 billion, or 0.8%.
- Covid-19 and flu coinfection rising in India, WHO warns it may escalate in the winters
- Samsung Galaxy Watch 5 review: Value champion in the Android smartwatch space
- Best iPhone under ₹30,000
- Best earbuds under ₹1500
- Nykaa enters into a JV with Dubai-based fashion retailer Apparel Group
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World