Xi orders senior officials to make sure China's GDP outpaces US despite COVID-19 lockdowns, WSJ reports
- Chinese President Xi Jinping want's his country's GDP to outpace the US, despite lockdowns, the Wall Street Journal reports.
- To do so, he has ordered officials to make sure his country's
economyis growing, the WSJ reported.
Chinese President Xi Jinping ordered his senior officials to ensure that
Sources told the Wall Street Journal that Xi told China's financial and economic officials to make sure his country's economy is growing so that China looks better than a Western alternative.
In response, Chinese government agencies are eyeing future construction projects in sectors like technology, food, energy, and manufacturing, the Wall Street Journal reported.
"For the first time in 20 years, our economy grew faster than China's," President Joe Biden said in January.
But a renewed COVID-19 crisis in China has spurred fears of economic troubles, unemployment, and supply chain issues.
The lockdowns have led to public outrage as authorities continue to try and stamp out virus clusters with travel restrictions and mass testing.
- Gold and silver jewellery to get a lot more expensive
- Indian tycoon Gautam Adani has abandoned a $2.5 billion fundraising effort in his latest setback following a short seller attack on his business empire
- It's been a very bad month for Indian billionaires — four of the richest Indians have collectively lost about $45 billion in 2023
- Adani Enterprises to be dropped from Dow Jones sustainability indices
- Coke Studio returns to India with 50 artistes, 10 new tracks
- OPPO Reno8 T 5G vs Nothing Phone (1): Spec comparison
- Oppo Enco Air3 TWS Buds Review: Looks good, sounds better
- Men’s apparel brand Snitch sews all sharks together – Gives ‘King of Bling’ Anupam Mittal his own fashion line