The group accused of plotting to kidnap Michigan Gov. Whitmer was riddled with FBI informants who took leading roles, according to BuzzFeed
- The conspiracy to kidnap
MichiganGov. Gretchen Whitmerwas full with FBI informants, BuzzFeed Newsreported.
- At least 12 confidential
FBIinformants reportedly assisted the investigation into the extremist group.
- Some of the informants, including an Iraq war veteran, reportedly took leading roles in the scheme.
The anti-government extremist group accused of conspiring to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer had been infiltrated by at least a dozen FBI informants - some of whom took leading roles in the scheme, BuzzFeed News reported.
At least 12 confidential FBI informants assisted the investigation into the extremist group accused of conspiring to kidnap the Democratic governor, according to the news outlet's report.
An examination of the case by BuzzFeed revealed that "some of those informants, acting under the direction of the FBI, played a far larger role than has previously been reported."
For example, an Iraq war veteran informant "became so deeply enmeshed in a Michigan militant group" that he rose to second-in-command of the group, BuzzFeed reported.
The war vet told members of the group to convene with other potential suspects and even paid for members' transportation to meetings, according to the news outlet.
Another man who advised the militia group on where to place explosives and offered to get as many as needed was also an informant, BuzzFeed reported.
In total, 14 men were charged last year in the alleged domestic terrorism plot to kidnap Whitmer. The defendants have all pleaded not guilty to the charges.
- Five planets will stage a rare spectacular event in the night sky on March 28
- Sam Altman, who was already wealthy before starting OpenAI, reportedly doesn't own any equity in the company behind ChatGPT
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- Torrent Investments not to participate in 2nd auction for Reliance Capital; Hinduja sole bidder
- Climate change threatening tea sector globally: ITA
- Over 23,000 techies lose jobs in nearly 82 Indian startups to date
- Scientists create car parts from lemons, corn, almonds and pomegranates that are better than traditional parts
- Cabinet clears dearness allowance hike by 4%