The group accused of plotting to kidnap Michigan Gov. Whitmer was riddled with FBI informants who took leading roles, according to BuzzFeed
- The conspiracy to kidnap
MichiganGov. Gretchen Whitmerwas full with FBI informants, BuzzFeed Newsreported.
- At least 12 confidential
FBIinformants reportedly assisted the investigation into the extremist group.
- Some of the informants, including an Iraq war veteran, reportedly took leading roles in the scheme.
The anti-government extremist group accused of conspiring to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer had been infiltrated by at least a dozen FBI informants - some of whom took leading roles in the scheme, BuzzFeed News reported.
At least 12 confidential FBI informants assisted the investigation into the extremist group accused of conspiring to kidnap the Democratic governor, according to the news outlet's report.
An examination of the case by BuzzFeed revealed that "some of those informants, acting under the direction of the FBI, played a far larger role than has previously been reported."
For example, an Iraq war veteran informant "became so deeply enmeshed in a Michigan militant group" that he rose to second-in-command of the group, BuzzFeed reported.
The war vet told members of the group to convene with other potential suspects and even paid for members' transportation to meetings, according to the news outlet.
Another man who advised the militia group on where to place explosives and offered to get as many as needed was also an informant, BuzzFeed reported.
In total, 14 men were charged last year in the alleged domestic terrorism plot to kidnap Whitmer. The defendants have all pleaded not guilty to the charges.
- Crypto FAQs answered — everything you need to know about crypto regulations, trading, taxes and CBDC in India
- Google and Microsoft hiring interns in India — Check out eligibility, job descriptions and other details
- AWS appears to be down, and it's taken popular services like Ring smart-home systems, Netflix, and Disney+ with it
- Sensex rallies over 700 points in early trade; Nifty tops 17,350 — HCL Tech, Infosys, Bharti Airtel, Tech Mahindra, L&T, Reliance Industries and ICICI Bank
- Realme GT 2 Pro with Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 to launch in India on Dec 9, could be priced over ₹59,500
- Here’s how you can make voice and video calls from the Gmail app
- Army helicopter carrying senior defence officials crashes in Tamil Nadu
- Parag Agrawal's top priority at Twitter as new CEO — streamline how the company operates