Rudy Giuliani reportedly needed a translation app on his phone for Russian documents. He was without his associates who were arrested in October.
- President Donald Trump's private lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, needed a translation app on his phone for Russian documents, according to a Friday report from The Wall Street Journal.
- He was without Soviet-born associates Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman, on a recent trip to Ukraine. The two were arrested in October on charges of campaign finance violations.
- The former mayor of New York has played a key role in trying to collect dirt on Trump's potential Democratic political rival, former Vice President Joe Biden, in the 2020 elections.
- Giuliani was at the White House on Friday, the same day that a Democratic-controlled US House of Representatives panel approved impeachment charges against Trump.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Giuliani, who has emerged as central figure in the Democratic-lead impeachment investigation, told The Journal, "despite whatever else you can say, I missed them."
According to impeachment witnesses, the whistleblower complaint - and his own admission in a heated CNN interview - the former mayor of New York has played a key role in trying to collect dirt on Trump's potential Democratic political rival, former Vice President Joe Biden, in the 2020 elections.The Wall Street Journal reported on Friday that when Giuliani returned to New York from Ukraine on Saturday, the president called him as his plane was still taxiing down the runway.
"'What did you get?'" Giuliani said Trump asked, according to The Journal. "More than you can imagine," the former New York mayor replied. He told the newspaper he is putting his findings into a 20-page report.Giuliani was at the White House on Friday, the same day that a Democratic-controlled House Judiciary Committee approved impeachment charges against Trump. He was caught on television cameras entering the West Wing. The White House did not immediately provide a reason for the visit, and a lawyer for Giuliani declined to comment on the reason.Advertisement
Trump has asked Giuliani to brief Republican senators and the Justice Department about information he collected on a visit to Ukraine last week, The Journal reported.
Trump senior adviser Kellyanne Conway told reporters she was not sure why Giuliani was at the White House but noted he is one of Trump's personal attorneys and had just returned from Ukraine.Trump faces impeachment by the full House next week on charges that he abused his power to pressure Ukraine to investigate Biden and his son Hunter Biden, who was a board member of a Ukrainian gas company.Advertisement
(Reporting by Steve Holland, additional reporting by Karen Freifeld; editing by Ross Colvin, Jonathan Oatis and Dan Grebler)
- ‘There should be a price on carbon,’ says an expert pushing for policies to combat climate change
- Watch Anil Kapoor 'audition' for CRED's first campaign to be aired during IPL
- ‘APMC and MSP will continue' — why Indian farmers must not fear the new laws
- Google hits back at Paytm — reiterates that ‘repeated policy violations’ will lead to stricter actions
- Ericsson's latest 5G bet - acquires enterprise connectivity provider Cradlepoint for $1.1 billion