Biden says he's uncomfortable with how much he's waited on in the White House. Trump had bragged about the opulence at a similar point in his presidency.
- President Biden said he was "extremely self-conscious" about being waited on in the
- At a CNN town hall, he said he was "raised in a way that you didn't look for anybody to wait on you."
- In the first week of his presidency, Trump bragged about the opulence of the White House.
He also touched on the service he was receiving at the White House as president. "I was raised in a way that you didn't look for anybody to wait on you," he said."I find myself extremely self-conscious," he added, because there are so many White House staff members waiting on him, including somebody who "hands me my suit coat."
Biden's description contrasts with how Trump, on the fifth night of his presidency, described living and working at the White House.In a phone interview with The New York Times' Maggie Haberman in January 2017, Trump bragged about many of the White House's features. He told Haberman that "these are the most beautiful phones I've ever used in my life."
He added that everyone who had come into the Oval Office was impressed. "I've had people come in, they walk in here and they just want to stare for a long period of time," he said.
Trump famously used an old call button in the Oval Office to order Diet Cokes from his staff. It's not clear what Biden is using that button for now.In his Times interview, Trump praised the White House residence, calling it "beautiful" and "very elegant."
Of the master bedroom, Trump said: "There's something very special when you know that Abraham Lincoln slept there. The Lincoln Bedroom, you know, was his office, and the suite where I'm staying is actually where he slept."
"Knowing all of that, it's different, than, you know, just pure elegance and room size," Trump added. "There's a lot of history."In the CNN town hall, Biden said the White House was very different from Number One Observatory Circle, the vice president's residence, and described the relative freedom he had there. "You can ride a bicycle around and never leave the property and work out," he said.
Biden said that while he'd been president for only four weeks, it felt like longer."And sometimes, because things are moving so fast - not because of burden - it feels like four years," he said. "It's not because of the burden, it's because there's so much happening that you're constantly focusing on one problem or opportunity."
- SEBI asks PNB Housing to halt ₹4,000 crore preferential issue of shares
- Word Music Day 2021: Importance, history, memorable quotes and how to celebrate it during a pandemic
- International Yoga Day — this year’s theme is ‘Yoga for well-being’
- International Yoga Day 2021 — a few quotes to remember and share
- India witnesses decline in daily COVID-19 cases with 58,419 fresh cases, lowest in last 81 days