Democratic Rep. Kurt Schrader opposes impeaching Trump, likening it to a 'lynching'
- Democratic Rep. Kurt Schrader told colleagues on Friday that he is against impeaching President Donald Trump after the Capitol siege.
- Schrader likened impeaching Trump to a "lynching," and said it would divide the nation.
- The Oregon lawmaker faced criticism online, particularly given that pro-Trump rioters hung a noose outside the Capitol on Wednesday.
- Schrader's spokesperson resigned over his remarks, for which he apologized on Friday evening.
Rep. Kurt Schrader of Oregon told fellow Democrats on a phone call Friday that he opposes the rapid push to impeach President Donald Trump over the Capitol siege, likening it to a "lynching," which was initially reported by ABC News.
"Without due process we are no better than Republicans," Schrader said, contending that it would divide the nation to rush toward impeachment.
The Oregon Democrat's comments led his spokesperson, Larkin Parker, to resign. Schrader also issued an apology.
—Ben Siegel (@bensiegel) January 8, 2021
Schrader's comments go against the sentiments of many of his Democratic colleagues in both chambers - including the leaders of the party, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi - who've called for Trump to be removed either via the 25th Amendment or impeachment. They also sparked anger online, particularly given that a noose was hung from a makeshift gallow near the Capitol during the attempted coup provoked by Trump on Wednesday.
—Alex Kotch (@alexkotch) January 8, 2021
—Kai Newkirk (@kai_newkirk) January 8, 2021
—Erick Erickson (@EWErickson) January 8, 2021
As of Friday, the Oregon lawmaker seems to be the only Democrat who's expressed opposition to impeaching Trump over the Capitol siege.
Though Schrader appears to be opposed to the current move to oust Trump, he voted in favor of impeaching the president in December 2019, which was related to the president's dealings with Ukraine.
- Airlines can now operate 85% of pre-Covid domestic flights, says Aviation Ministry
- Yes Bank-DHFL case: No sympathy, says court, Rana Kapoor's wife, daughters remanded to judicial custody
- Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh resigns amid ongoing turmoil in Congress
- Future of Work 2021: Work from home is here now, but people demand some physical sense at work
- Deadline for PAN-Aadhaar linkage extended till March 2022