Democratic Rep. Sanchez said she flipped off the GOP side during congressional baseball game after hearing a 'misogynistic comment' from a fan
- Rep. Linda Sánchez flipped off the GOP side during the congressional baseball game on Thursday.
- Sánchez, of California, said it came after a "misogynistic comment from the Republican side."
A Democratic congresswoman said she flipped off the Republican side during the congressional baseball game after she heard a "misogynistic comment."
Videos shared on Twitter show House Rep. Linda Sánchez flipping the bird while she jogged past the GOP dugout on Thursday night. She later clarified she was responding to a heckler.
In a statement to Insider, Sánchez said the baseball game, which raises money for charity, is usually one of her "favorite events of the year."
"That is why it really struck a nerve when I heard an offensive and misogynistic comment from the Republican side on my way back to the dugout," Sánchez said. "In the heat of the moment, I reacted."
—Ron Filipkowski (@RonFilipkowski) July 29, 2022
"I have no tolerance for men who make women feel like they are unimportant or don't belong — especially on the field. I will always stand against that kind of bigotry," Sánchez continued in the statement.
Sánchez later said she was flipping off a specific fan who she said was heckling her, telling NBC News reporter Frank Thorp that "it's the same guy" every year.
"It wasn't the team. It was an obnoxious fan who shouts misogynistic shit at me every single year," Sánchez told Thorp.
When asked what the offensive comment was, she said: "I'm not going to dignify it with a response because it's nasty and it's crude, and it has no place at a charity baseball game."
- ITC Q3 net profit rises 23% to Rs 5,070 cr; revenue up 3.5%
- Adani’s stock rout can impact its ability to raise capital or refinance debt, says Moody’s
- IndiGo profit soars to ₹1,422.6 crore in December quarter
- Tata Power Q3 net profit nearly doubles to ₹1,052 crore
- Gautam Adani loses richest Indian tag in 1 yr as he drops from 2 to 21 in world rich list