Rep. Louie Gohmert says Peter Navarro indictment means Republicans 'can't even lie to Congress or lie to an FBI agent or they're coming after you'
- "If you're a Republican, you can't even lie to Congress or lie to an FBI agent," Rep. Louie Gohmert said.
- He made his statement on Newsmax when asked about Peter Navarro's indictment.
Republican Rep. Louie Gohmert, of Texas, said Friday that the Peter Navarro indictment points to "a two-tiered justice system."
"If you're a Republican, you can't even lie to Congress or lie to an FBI agent or they're coming after you," Gohmert said during a Newsmax appearance.
Title 18 U.S. Code § 1001 maintains that lying to "the executive, legislative, or judicial branch of the Government of the United States" is a felony. The code does not mention a political party.
"They're gonna bury you. They're gonna put you in the DC jail and terrorize you and torture you," the Texas official went on.
Ex-Trump advisor Peter Navarro was indicted by a grand jury on Friday for refusing to testify and provide documents to the January 6 House select committee.
Gohmert is an ally of Former President Trump and has spread the baseless claim that the 2020 election was stolen. Gohmert is not running for reelection for his House seat, instead, he opted for an unsuccessful campaign for attorney general of Texas, where in the May primary he placed last out of four candidates.
—Jason Campbell (@JasonSCampbell) June 3, 2022
Gohmert did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
- Simple Energy raises USD 20 mn from investors
- Rupee gains 10 paise to 82.66 against US dollar in early trade
- Poco X5 Pro 5G vs Redmi Note 12 Pro – price, specs and features compared
- Turkey-Syria quake toll reaches over 4,300
- Drinking water in Israel becomes turbid after Turkey-Syria quake