Republican Gov. Larry Hogan says it's insane anyone would view the Jan. 6 Capitol riot as 'just tourists looking at statues' in apparent jab at GOP lawmaker
- Maryland's Republican Gov.
Larry Hogansaid it's "insane" that some people think the Capitol insurrection was "just tourists looking at statues."
- Some Republicans, like Rep. Andrew Clyde of Georgia, have contended that the Capitol riot was "a normal tourist visit."
Republican Gov. Larry Hogan of Maryland criticized Republicans who have perpetuated lies about the
"There's been an amazing amount of disinformation that's been spread over the past year. And many people are consuming that disinformation, and believing it as if it's fact," Hogan told CNN's Dana Bash on Sunday.
"To think that the violent protesters who attacked the Capitol, our seat of democracy, on January 6 was just tourists looking at statues, it's insane that anyone could watch that on television and believe that's what happened," Hogan added.
Some Republicans and Trump supporters spent the year rebranding the insurrection. GOP Rep. Andrew Clyde of Georgia said in May that the attack resembled "a normal tourist visit."
In December, former President
"That's one of the reasons why I continue to speak up and tell the truth about what happened because I think it's critically important," Hogan said on Sunday. "Frankly, it's crazy that many people believe that, things that just simply aren't true, that they believe a different version of reality."
Some 727 people have been arrested and charged with crimes following the insurrection.
- Ambani and Adani valuations surge while Tatas, Birlas see major declines in the first half of 2022
- Telecom gear firm Parallel Wireless lays off 500 employees including in India
- College dropout, auto driver, ‘original Sainik’ — Ekanth Shinde’s rocky ride to CM’s seat
- Straws, plastic masks and all other single use plastics banned — here are the fines and alternatives
- Gold import duty hiked to 15% from 10.75% earlier