Republican Sen. Bill Cassidy says he won't vote for Trump in 2024 because 'elections are about winning'
- GOP Sen. Bill Cassidy said he wouldn't vote for Trump if he runs for reelection in 2024.
- Cassidy told Axios that "elections are about winning" and Trump doesn't have a strong record on this front.
Sen. Bill Cassidy, a Louisiana Republican, said he wouldn't vote for former President Donald Trump if he runs for reelection in 2024, citing the loss of GOP control of Washington under Trump's leadership.
"President Trump is the first president, in the Republican side at least, to lose the House, the Senate and the presidency in four years," Cassidy told Axios in an interview that aired Sunday. "Elections are about winning."
Trump is the first president in nearly 90 years to lose the House, Senate, and White House after one term. Cassidy argued that Trump wouldn't necessarily win the GOP presidential nomination if he runs and said he isn't a strong choice for Republicans, who are hoping to take back control of Congress next year and the White House in 2024.
"If you want to win the presidency ― and hopefully that's what voters are thinking about ― I think he might" lose the nomination, he said.
Axios reporter Mike Allen then prompted, "It's clear you ain't votin' for him."
"I'm not," Cassidy replied.
Cassidy was one of seven Republican senators to vote to impeach Trump for inciting the Capitol riot last January and was censured by the Louisiana Republican Party for his vote. Cassidy, who's up for reelection in 2026, stood by his impeachment vote during the interview.
"I take an oath to support and defend the Constitution, and when there was a pattern of behavior that culminated, as it did on January the 6th - and we've had revelations since - that just led me to that decision," he said.
-Axios (@axios) October 17, 2021
- Amazon Great Republic Sale: Best deals on kitchen and dining products
- Amazon Great Republic Sale: Best deals on kitchen appliances
- India records 2,71,202 fresh COVID-19 cases in the last 24 hours, active cases highest in 225 days
- Amazon Great Republic Day Sale 2022 — Best deals and offers on laptops
- Amazon Great Republic Day Sale — Top offers and deals on large electronic appliances
- Section 144 in Mumbai
- Elon Musk
- India's win in Centurion
- Millionaires Employees
- Car with Waiting Period
- Tax Saving Investment
- Urban Company
- New Year 2022
- Upcoming new laptops
- Bank Holidays in January
- Valuable NFT Projects
- Xiaomi 11i hypercharge
- GST Input tax credit
- Public Holidays in 2022
- RBL Stocks
- Upcoming Smartphones in 2022