The Republicans are fundamentally unserious people
- If it feels like nothing is getting done in America right now, that's because there isn't.
- In large part that is because the Republican Party is made up of unserious people, only interested in perpetuating their own power.
- The President cannot be taken seriously when he says he wants to make a deal — any kind of deal. The DOJ cannot be taken seriously when it says it is doing an investigation. And Senate
Republicanscannot be serious about coronavirus aid negotiations.
- This is an
opinioncolumn. The thoughts expressed are those of the author.
It's hard for the government to get anything done in this critical moment in American history, and the reason for the disastrous gridlock is simple: Republicans are fundamentally unserious people.
There's a pandemic raging, 898,000 Americans filed for unemployment benefits just last week, and the stock market is convulsing because Washington can't pass an economic stimulus bill. The Democrats passed a more than $3 trillion plan in the House in June, while Senate Republicans have argued since this summer that we don't need a large scale bill.And no matter what the headlines claim about back and forth between the White House and House Speaker
Talking to the White House is a waste unless it can move McConnell (unlikely). And McConnell's bill likely won't provide aid to hurting state and local governments, so it's a no-go with Democrats. These are not serious negotiations, because the Republicans are not serious about this issue — or really anything else.The only thing Republicans seem serious about doing is appointing judges, not just in the Supreme Court — where some polls show their rush confirmation of Judge Amy Coney Barrett has met widespread disapproval from Americans — but in courts all over the country.
That is because appointing judges and creating a conservative judicial system perpetuates their power. So Republicans are working fast, appointing more judges to appeals courts than any president since Carter. But even there, the GOP is not taking things that seriously — making the power grab obvious. Trump has also nominated more judges rated "not qualified" by The American Bar Association (ABA) to the bench than any President since 1989 (when the ABA started keeping track).Aside from all that, you won't see Republicans get much done aside from cutting taxes. The GOP is a party without a plan or a platform (at this year's RNC it presented one thing as its platform —
How about national security? The Washington Post reports that Barr and others in the Trump administration have known that Rudy Giuliani was involved in a Russian intelligence operation, feeding misinformation to the President. They aren't serious people, though, so they didn't do anything about it.
Republicans don't have a plan to replace Obamacare or an idea of how to keep people with preexisting conditions covered if the Supreme Court agrees with the Trump administration and strikes down the law, because they are not serious.Republicans do not have a plan to distribute a coronavirus vaccine when it shows up because they are not serious. And we don't know the truth about the president's health right now because Republicans are not serious.
Now, perhaps you think that Pelosi should just come to some kind of deal with the White House, and see if Trump will take time off from ranting on Twitter and calling in to Fox
Just ask US Trade Representative and China hardliner Robert Lighthizer. He led negotiations for the US-China Phase Once trade deal, and he is now trying to save the deal from forces within the Trump administration that want to kill the deal they themselves negotiated less than a year ago. He thought that White House really wanted to get something done on the US-China economic front — his mistake.This is what you get when you try do serious things with fundamentally unserious people.
- Tata Motors may report loss for yet another quarter led by weak JLR sales, commercial vehicles’ pain
- Supreme Court jumps in for Amazon and Flipkart after Karnataka High Court remains mum on investigation against their anti-competitive practices for over 200 days
- Indian news agency hit by massive ransomware attack — servers were down for hours but no payment was made
- Bihar assembly elections 2020: NDA, UPA, and LJP candidate list for first phase of polls
- upGrad's latest ad depicts the pressures of getting into MBA colleges to focus on its management offerings