Trump blamed getting COVID on Chris Christie and 'tried to duck' from his 'spittle' during debate prep, book says
- Trump was "convinced" that
Chris Christiegave him COVID-19, according to a new book.
- Trump had "seen the spittle" come out of Christie's mouth and "tried to duck from the droplets."
- It's unclear how Trump contracted the disease.
Shortly before Trump announced he tested positive coronavirus on October 2, he worked with Christie to prepare for the September 29
Trump, a self-described germaphobe, had "seen the spittle" come out of Christie's mouth and "tried to duck from the droplets" as they sat across from each other at practice debate sessions, Wolff wrote in his book, "Landslide: The Final Days of the Trump Presidency."
Trump later blamed his exposure to COVID-19 on Christie, who tested positive around the same time as him and battled the virus for a week in the ICU.
It's unclear exactly how the virus spread to Trump. But he was furious with Christie following a final debate session in which Christie had assumed the role of Biden and attacked Trump, according to the book.
"You have blood on your hands," Christie reportedly told Trump. "You're a complete failure. All these people have died from the virus. And it's your fault."
Christie, still playing Biden, also pointed out that Trump had criticized Biden's son, Hunter, while his own family was "full of problems," the book said.
Trump became "clearly agitated" at the practice strategy and had his "arms tightly crossed," Wolff wrote. He said that Christie attacked him "like he meant it," per the book.
Whether or not Christie gave coronavirus to Trump, the former president was "convinced" that he did, Wolff wrote.
The pair's relationship eventually fell apart. After their bouts with COVID-19, Christie went on to criticize Trump's handling of the pandemic in the country.
Christie told the New York Times last October that he was "wrong" to have trusted the White House grounds was a "safe zone" and that he should have worn a mask.
- Airlines can now operate 85% of pre-Covid domestic flights, says Aviation Ministry
- Yes Bank-DHFL case: No sympathy, says court, Rana Kapoor's wife, daughters remanded to judicial custody
- Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh resigns amid ongoing turmoil in Congress
- Future of Work 2021: Work from home is here now, but people demand some physical sense at work
- Deadline for PAN-Aadhaar linkage extended till March 2022