Trump reportedly didn't bother checking on Pence after unleashing a violent mob that rampaged through the Capitol shouting 'Where's Mike Pence?'
Donald Trumpbarely put any effort at all into checking into Vice President Mike Pence's safety during the Capitol siegeon Wednesday, a source close to the vice president told CNN.
- The insurrectionists at the Capitol could be heard shouting, "where's Mike Pence," according to the source.
- The violent mob Trump unleashed on the Capitol delayed the certification of President-elect
Joe Biden's 2020 victory and led to four deaths.
- Meanwhile, Trump attacked Pence on Twitter for not enabling the attempted coup and refusing to overturn the election result as he presided over the certification.
President Donald Trump put hardly any effort into checking up on Vice President Mike Pence and his family's safety after inciting a violent mob that swarmed the US Capitol, a source close to Pence told CNN.
Pence, who's president of the Senate, was at the Capitol with his wife Karen Pence, daughter Charlotte, and brother, GOP Rep. Greg Pence of Indiana, to president over the Electoral College certification - a generally ceremonial, perfunctory affair.
Ahead of the Capitol siege on Wednesday, Trump repeatedly pressured Pence to do something he did not have unilateral authority to do: overturn the election result before a joint session of Congress.
During a lie-filled speech ahead of the attempted coup at the Capitol, which delayed the certification process, Trump once again urged Pence to embrace his assault on American democracy.
"If Mike Pence does the right thing, we win the election ... He has the absolute right to do it," Trump falsely stated to thousands of his supporters, before unleashing them to wreak havoc on the temple of America's democracy.
The insurrection led Congress to be evacuated and Pence was caught up in the mayhem. Four people also died as a result of the siege.
During the chaos, some of the rioters could be heard screaming, "where's Mike Pence?"according to the source close to the vice president who spoke to CNN.
"Was [Trump] concerned at all that an angry mob that he commanded to march on the Capitol might injure the vice president or his family?" the source said, going on to say that Trump and his allies made Pence a "scapegoat" for his 2020 loss.
"Rudy, Meadows and their teams have been trying to set up the vice president to take the fall as opposed to admitting they laid out false hope in all of this," the source told CNN, referring to the president's personal attorney Rudy Giuliani and White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows.
The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Insider on Thursday.
Meanwhile, as the Capitol building was overwhelmed by the pro-Trump mob, Trump attacked his own vice president via Twitter.
"Mike Pence didn't have the courage to do what should have been done to protect our Country and our Constitution," Trump said, going after Pence for not adhering to his impossible demands.
Later in the day, the vice president's chief of staff, Marc Short, said that Trump banned him from the White House.
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- Cryptocurrency investment 101 — here’s how to do your own research (DYOR) and invest in the right digital asset
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- Electric bus makers on a roll as states like Maharashtra and Karnataka send in large orders
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons