Kylie Jenner's cosmetics company was affected by the Shopify data breach, where 'rogue' staff members may have exposed customer details
- Kylie Jenner’s cosmetics company confirmed that it was one of the companies affected by the Shopify data breach earlier this month.
Shopifyemployees may have exposed customer contact and order details from 200 merchants, Shopify said on September 23. Kylie Cosmeticssaid it was “deeply disappointed” to learn that the breach affected its customers, but remains “confident” that customers can still use its site.
Two "rogue" Shopify staff members stole order records and may have exposed customers' names, email and postal addresses, and order details from less than 200 merchants, the Canadian
Kylie Cosmetics launched an investigation into the incident, it said, and was working closely with Shopify to get additional information.Kylie Cosmetics was working to identify which transactions may have been affected, the company added and said it would inform affected customers.
On September 23, Shopify said there was no evidence that the data had been used, but that it was still in the "early stages" of its investigation. The company was working with the FBI, other international crime agencies, and a digital forensics firm, it said.The theft wasn't caused by any "technical vulnerability" in the platform, it said, describing the employees as two "rogue" members of its support team. The company immediately terminated the employees' access to the Shopify network and referred the incident to law enforcement, it said.
The incident took place between August 15 and September 15, the company said.
When contacted by Business Insider, Shopify referred to its earlier statement from September 23, which read: "We don't take these events lightly at Shopify. We have zero tolerance for platform abuse and will take action to preserve the confidence of our community and the integrity of our product."
- Airtel's India business is back in the black after a very long time
- Sequoia and PayPal-backed Pine Labs completes a first close of $285 million funding round from new investors
- BJP spent significantly less on advertising during Kerala elections this year, its ad insertions on TV, Radio and Print decreased from 21% in 2016 to 1% in 2021
- Google I/O 2021: Here's what to expect from Google's biggest annual conference
- ISRO announces its decision to share technology to make portable medical oxygen concentrators developed by VSSC