Subway is closing half its restaurants early on July 12 to overhaul the menu and will give away 1 million free sandwiches the next day
Subwaywill give away 1 million free subs on July 13.
- Subway is overhauling the menu with new ingredients and sandwiches.
- Restaurants will close early the night before to prepare.
Subway will give away 1 million free subs on July 13 to celebrate a major menu revamp.
The sandwich chain will close more than 10,000 US restaurants, about half of its locations, at 6 p.m. on Monday to prepare for the menu overhaul the next day.
For two hours on July 13, Subway will give away up to 1 million free 6-inch Turkey Cali Fresh subs. Customers just have to go to a Subway between 10 a.m. and noon local time and request the free sub.
The sandwich chain is calling the menu changes an "Eat Fresh Refresh," a play on Subway's slogan. More than 20 menu changes will come to all US restaurants with "improvements to almost every core menu item," according to a press release.
The more than 20 menu changes include sauces, bread, and proteins. Two new bread options, "artisan Italian" and "hearty multigrain," have been in development for over two years. The chain is also adding deli-style sliced ham and turkey, smashed avocado, fresh mozzarella, and a parmesan vinaigrette. In total, there will be 11 new ingredients, six new sandwiches, and four altered sandwiches, along with a new digital-ordering experience.
Subway was one of many restaurants to feel the effects of the pandemic, and it closed more locations than any other large US chain in 2020, ending the period with 1,557 fewer stores, a 6.6% loss.
Do you have a story to share about a
- Best laptops with 11th Gen Intel i7 processors
- Best gaming laptops with 11th Gen Intel processors
- Best FreeSync monitors for a smooth gaming experience
- Best condenser microphones to record podcasts, songs and more
- Best wireless handheld microphones for parties and events