Fully vaccinated American tourists will be allowed to visit the European Union this summer, The New York Times reports
European Unionwill allow vaccinated Americans to visit this summer, a top official told The New York Times.
- EU and US officials are in talks about methods that could prove tourists' vaccination status.
- It would be a change from existing policy that restricts nonessential
travelfrom the US.
The European Union will allow Americans who are fully vaccinated against
It would be a change from policies that have been in place for more than a year. In March of 2020, EU leaders restricted most foreign travelers from entering Europe. Even when the bloc's borders were partially opened in the summer, the US was excluded from that list, as its
"The Americans, as far as I can see, use European Medicines Agency-approved
All three vaccines authorized for use in the US, Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson, have been approved by the EU's drugs regulator.
"All 27 member states will accept, unconditionally, all those who are vaccinated with vaccines that are approved by E.M.A.," von der Leyen said.
The Times reported US and EU officials have been in talks over acceptable vaccine certificates that would allow tourists to prove their vaccination status.
Last month, the EU proposed a vaccine passport system that would allow vaccinated EU citizens to travel more easily within the bloc by summer, Insider's Marianne Guenot reported.
The EU official did not give The Times a timeline for when it might open for US tourists, noting that it will depend on the coronavirus situation in the US.
Daily coronavirus case numbers remain relatively flat in the US, though some states are seeing a rise, while vaccination rates remain high, with about 3 million people per day on average receiving a shot.
As of Sunday, more than half of all American adults had received at least one vaccine dose, while 36% were fully vaccinated, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Despite being one of the leading nations when it comes to
- Realme 10 Pro+ 5G Review: An all-round value smartphone
- Sensex snaps 4-session losing run led by PSU banks
- The future is connected: 80% of traditional TV viewers want to switch in a year says Finecast Kantar
- Electric-vehicle financing startup Vidyut raises $4 million in first round of funding
- RIL, Adani Enterprises are the biggest and most consistent wealth creators: Motilal Oswal