The best meal replacement shakes, bars, and powder
- In a matter of seconds, a good meal replacement beverage, bar, or shake can deliver enough calories and nutrients to keep you going for hours.
- Soylent Cafe Coffiest is our favorite meal replacement option because it delivers a welcome dose of caffeine along with plenty of protein, fiber, vitamins, and more.
Truth be told, I rarely miss meals these days. I work from home most of the time, so the kitchen is pretty easy to access and tends to be stocked with foods I like to eat. In years past, however, I couldn't possibly count the number of times I found myself sitting in morning traffic after rushing out the door without eating breakfast. Often I would even find myself sitting at my desk for hours before realizing I had yet to consume anything but coffee.
While missing breakfast is less of an issue on a day-to-day basis for me now, I still manage to forget to eat a real meal or to bring along sufficient on-the-go food almost every time I travel, which tends to happen a few times a month. This leads to a lot of pizza and donuts purchased in Penn Station or to buying wildly overpriced pre-made airline sandwiches that are always just a bit too small to satisfy.
For at least the near future, though, I've got it all figured out. That's because there is a case of Soylent Cafe Coffiest meal replacement beverages on a shelf downstairs. Next to that, you'll find a box of PROBAR meal bars. Thus as long as I can find the 45 seconds or so that it takes to chug a beverage or chow down on a bar, I'll have about the same amount of calories and balance of nutrients that a decent breakfast would have delivered. Now, remembering to replenish my supply of meal replacement products once they run out? That's another issue entirely.When choosing a meal replacement option for yourself, make sure you find something you will actually enjoy. Getting calories into yourself need not be an unpleasant experience just because you're in a rush. You can shop by flavor, by dietary concerns, by calorie count or nutrition profile, and so forth.
Also consider where you will consume a chosen meal replacement. It's great if you find a meal replacement powder that makes truly delicious shakes, for example, but not so great if you need to eat during a commute. Fellow motorists probably want your hands on the wheel, not stirring a beverage. If you take public transit, your fellow subway riders have probably seen it all, but will still appreciate you eating a bar instead of whisking up a protein shake.
You don't have to be perennially busy with work, school, commutes, travel, and life in general to use meal replacement products. They can also make a handy and healthy part of your daily routine, aiding with fitness goals, adding vitamins, minerals, and other needed nutrients into your diet, and even by saving you money. Many meal replacement options cost just two or three dollars per serving; try getting a balanced meal at that price and you'll probably come up short.
Here are the best meal replacements you can buy:
- Best meal replacement overall: Soylent Cafe Coffiest
- Best meal replacement bar: PROBAR Superfood Slam
- Best meal replacement powder: Garden of Life Meal Replacement Powder
- Best high protein meal replacement bar: BSN Syntha-6 Protein Crisp Bar
- Best meal replacement drink for weight loss: Atkins Ready to Drink Shake
Updated on 10/25/2019 by Connie Chen: Updated prices and formatting.
Featured Digital Health Articles:
- Telehealth Industry: Benefits, Services & Examples
- Value-Based Care Model: Pay-for-Performance Healthcare
- Senior Care & Assisted Living Market Trends
- Smart Medical Devices: Wearable Tech in Healthcare
- AI in Healthcare