The coronavirus death toll is still rising, but US interest in the outbreak is plummeting
- Google Trends data show that Americans are losing interest in the coronavirus, even though the death toll continues to rise in mainland China and other countries.
- The World Health Organization said Monday that the epidemic peaked and plateaued in China between January 23 and February 2.
- Cases have been reported in 34 countries outside of China, with the most severe outbreaks in Italy, Iran and South Korea.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Global stock markets dipped Monday morning as the coronavirus outbreak continued to grow outside of China, with new cases reported in Europe and the Middle East. The death count continues to rise: At least 2,600 people have died since the start of the outbreak.But Americans appear to be losing interest, at least as measured by Google Trends data. Searches related to coronavirus have been declining in the US since the end of January.Advertisement
But the virus' international spread may be getting worse.Coronavirus cases have been reported in 34 other countries, and 33 people have died internationally. South Korea has been hardest hit - the WHO confirmed 602 coronavirus cases and five deaths there on Sunday. Italy has at least 215 reported cases and six deaths. It's unclear how some of those patients became ill. On Monday, a dozen towns in Italy were placed on lockdown.Advertisement
In Iran, meanwhile, the coronavirus outbreak has forced schools to close. Officials initiated a campaign to disinfect public places after 43 people got sick and 12 died.
- Read more:
- 'The most disruptive thing to hit markets in many years': 5 financial experts sound off on coronavirus chaos, and what it means for investors
- Dow plummets 1,000 points, erases gains for the year, as coronavirus fears rattle traders
- Vietnam is set to lose billions of dollars due to coronavirus, and it's already feeling the impact of the deadly outbreak
- A bar in Ho Chi Minh City bans Chinese customers, as coronavirus concerns spark anti-Chinese racism
- Zimbabwe's health minister fired over COVID-19 graft scandal
- West Bengal records highest single-day deaths of 25 COVID-19 patients
- COVID-19: West Bengal records highest single-day deaths of 25 COVID-19 patients
- Realists enjoy more long-term happiness than optimists: Study
- May impose total lockdown if COVID-19 situation worsens: Meghalaya DyCM