India's small rocket SSLV-D2 lifts off from Sriharikota with an earth observation satellite
Piggybacking on that are two other satellites -- 10.2 kg Janus-1 belonging to ANTARIS of the US and 8.7 kg AzaadiSat-2 belonging to
The SSLV-D2 is carrying a total weight of 175.2 kg.
The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has developed
At about 9.18 a.m. the 34 metre tall and 120 ton expendable rocket costing about Rs 56 crore broke free of the first launch pad and started its upward one way journey.
The rocket with a thick orange flame at its tail slowly gathered speed and went up and up.
As to the mission's objectives, ISRO said it is to demonstrate the designed payload capability of SSLV in LEO and injection of three satellites -- EOS-07, Janus-1 and AzaadiSAT-2 -- into the 450 km circular orbit.
About 13 minutes into its flight, the SSLV rocket will eject EOS-07 and soon after that the other two satellites Janus-1 and AzaadiSAT-2 would be ejected -- all at an altitude of 450 km, said ISRO.
With the new rocket in its portfolio, ISRO will have three rockets -- Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) and its variants (cost about Rs 200 crore), Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV-MkII cost about Rs 272 crore and LVM3 Rs 434 crore) and SSLV (Development cost of three rockets about Rs 56 crore each) and production cost may go down later.
The SSLV's maiden flight -- SSLV-D1- on August 7, 2022 was a failure as the rocket had put the two satellites -- EOS-01 and AZAADISAT -- in a wrong orbit resulting in their loss.
AdvertisementAccording to ISRO, the onboard sensors of SSLV-D1 were affected due to vibrations during the separation of its second stage. While the rocket's software was able to perform the ejection of the satellites, the ejections were done into a wrong orbit. The satellites also lacked necessary velocity to be on a stable orbit and went into oblivion.
(Venkatachari Jagannathan can be reached at email@example.com)
What does it cost to find love on a dating app, and is the price worth it?
India's first solar-powered electric vehicle could cut your daily transportation costs by one-third!
Popular on BI
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Two Mukesh Ambani-owned companies are among India’s top 5 valuable brands
- TVS, Ather, Ola hike prices of electric two-wheelers as new subsidy norms kick in
- IKIO Lighting sets IPO price band at ₹270-285/share
- Royal Enfield sales rise 22% in May at 77,461 units
- GST collection rises 12% to ₹1.57 lakh crore in May