Flipkart is still the king of Indian e-commerce market. Here are the numbers
Besides, there is also an ongoing fight for the third spot between
In March, Flipkart registered an average of five lakh shipments daily, whereas
ET quoted sources saying Snapdeal saw its volumes dip significantly to 30,000 a day from a high of 1.5 lakh daily shipments in March 2016.
Flipkart's strong gains come from major categories such as fashion and smartphone segment. It saw 57% rise in smartphone category in first quarter of 2017.
While Amazon India had a 27% share, according to data from Counterpoint Research. In the whole of 2016, Amazon increased its share to 31% in this category while Flipkart slipped to 44%, the research firm said.
"While higher GMV means more sales, higher orders mean more customers or more orders from the same customers, both are desirable for the sizeable growth of the industry," Krishna Choudhury, senior business analyst at RedSeer Consulting, told ET.
"Flipkart continues to remain ahead of Amazon India in terms of gross sales," sources in the know how told ET.
"We continue to see tremendous momentum despite our scale, growing at about 85% in Q1 this year. We cannot offer comment on any other financial details," a representative for Amazon India told the news daily.
Meanwhile, the battle may heat up if talks of Snapdeal buyout to Flipkart become true.
Advertisement"Marketplaces will look to increase the commissions earned from merchants as well as from chargeable services to consumers, reducing operational costs (including manpower), and rationalising marketing expenditure whose efficacy isn't really being monitored," Devangshu Dutta, chief executive at consulting firm Third Eyesight who expects 2017 to be a year of consolidation, told ET.
Popular on BI
- Billionaire investor Mark Mobius says he's been able to get his money out of China, but investing in the country is still a 'dilemma' amid national security laws
- The Carnival cruise passenger who went overboard and remains missing was on his first cruise and it became his 'happy place,' his fiancée said
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Attractiveness of gold depends on US Fed's moves, say analysts
- Coal India’s ₹4,000 crore offer for sale subscribed 4x times
- Nvidia's Jensen Huang started with a $10 million failure before shifting gears to become a $1 trillion company
- Meet the top Nifty50 performers in FY23
- Apple to declare the 12-inch MacBook as obsolete on June 30