An English youngster once tipped for stardom by Lionel Messi proved why with a stunning Champions League goal
Lionel Messionce tipped Chelsea's Mason Mount to become one of the best players in world soccer.
- On Wednesday, Mount scored a stunning goal in the
Champions Leagueagainst Porto.
- It was his eighth goal of the season for the Blues, proving Messi's prediction to be right.
Last year, Lionel Messi tipped Chelsea midfielder Mason Mount to become one of the best players in world soccer.
And on Wednesday night, the English youngster took the latest step in proving the Argentine's prediction right, scoring a stunning goal as Chelsea beat FC Porto in the Champions League.The Blues secured a vital 2-0 win away from home in the first leg of its quarterfinal tie to put one foot firmly in the last four.
Ben Chilwell then scored Chelsea's second with just five minutes to play, shortly after substitute Christian Pulisic had rattled the bar.Watch Mount's goal here:
In an interview with Topps in March 2020, Messi named Mount as one of 15 young players who he believed will be the next generation of global stars."Having watched him play he has the potential to be one of the best," Messi said of the Chelsea star. Since then, Mount has been one of the Blues' outstanding players, while he has also been praised at international level for England.
This season, he has scored eight times for Thomas Tuchel's side and provided a further six assists, while he has also scored three goals in his last eight games for England.
His strike against Porto was his first ever in the Champions League, which Tuchel called an "important step" in his fledgling career."The finish was clinical and excellent from Mason," said Tuchel after the match. "He has the quality to do this and to do it in a quarter-final is a big step for him and a big help for the team.
"He is a very important player for our squad at a young age."
The former Chelsea and England star Glenn Hoddle also praised Mount's performance and goal against Porto, saying on BT Sport: "He is mature, he knows how to play different positions, a top quality player."The skill for the goal, he put himself in with one touch, his next touch, he drills it in."
Elsewhere in the Champions' League on Wednesday, Paris Saint Germain emerged victorious over Bayern Munich in a thriller in Germany.During the game, the French side's talisman Kylian Mbappe scored a brace of goals to sink Bayern in a rematch of last season's Champions League final.
- Revolut starts India operations, appoints former Lendingkart, Flipkart executive Paroma Chatterjee as CEO
- Top 10 longest sixes in IPL matches from 2008 to till date
- OPINION: Regulation of games of skill under a central legislative regime is the need of the hour
- OPINION: Why weekend lockdowns and night curfews aren't the only solution to India's surging cases of COVID-19
- Haryana government declares summer vacation in schools due to spike in COVID-19 cases