An Olympics reporter was met with silence when he asked the women's weightlifting podium about Laurel Hubbard
- An Olympics reporter asked women's
weightliftingmedalists about Laurel Hubbard's participation.
- Hubbard is the first openly transgender athlete to compete at an Olympic Games.
- The question was met with silence. Eventually, the American lifter Sarah Robles declined to answer.
An Olympics reporter was met with an awkward silence when he asked the women's weightlifting podium about Laurel Hubbard.
The gold-medal winner, China's Li Wenwen, the silver medalist, Britain's Emily Campbell, and the bronze medalist, the US's Sarah Robles, were speaking at a media event after the +87-kilogram competition on Monday.
Li set Olympic records in the snatch (140 kilograms) and the clean and jerk (180 kilograms) to claim the championship with a 320-kilogram total lift. Campbell edged 0ut Robles by 1 kilogram with her total 283-kilogram lift.
"There was a historic night here with Laurel Hubbard competing as the first openly transgender in an individual event," the reporter said at the press conference.
"I was wondering what you felt about that and what you felt that took place in your sport," the reporter asked the podium.
Campbell had been speaking, at length, but the reporter appeared to be asking all the athletes for their insights on Hubbard's participation in Tokyo.
At first, nobody answered.
Li was unfazed, Campbell did not move, and Robles sipped water.
Eight seconds passed before Robles said, "No, thank you."
Robles also made history as the first American woman to win two Olympic weightlifting medals. She had also won bronze at the 2016 Games in the +75-kilogram category.
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- A half-mile installation just took 20,000 pounds of plastic out of the Pacific - proof that ocean garbage can be cleaned
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons