Illinois star Kofi Cockburn accidentally knocks referee unconscious while celebrating a play against Michigan
Big Ten Network
- Illinois Fighting Illini freshman center Kofi Cockburn accidentally knocked a referee unconscious while celebrating an and-one.
- The 7-foot, 290-pound freshman whipped his right arm over his head and brought down his elbow directly into the back of Lewis Garrison's head.
- According to CBS Sports' Matt Norlander, Garrison was helped off the floor and into the back of the arena after spending minutes on all fours. He was cleared before leaving the arena but visited the hospital for a precautionary X-ray.
- The collision overshadowed Kofi Cockburn's impressive 19-point performance in Illinois' upset of the No. 5 Michigan Wolverines.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Injuries are commonplace in the heat of a game, but it's not every day that you see a referee hit the deck.
Late in the second half of the Illinois Fighting Illini's eventual upset of the No. 5 Michigan Wolverines Wednesday night, Illinois center Kofi Cockburn hit a put-back floater to further extend their lead. As referee Lewis Garrison, who was positioned on the baseline behind the basket, whistled Michigan's Zavier Simpson for the foul, the official lunged forward into Cockburn's path.
Cockburn, meanwhile, was busy celebrating his and-one. The 7-foot, 290-pound freshman whipped his right arm over his head and brought down his fist. His elbow collided with Garrison's head and, according to the Associated Press, knocked the referee unconscious.
Garrison immediately clutched his head in his hands and stumbled to the floor, and Cockburn lept forward to help the official. According to CBS Sports' Matt Norlander, Garrison was helped off the floor and into the back of the arena after spending minutes on all fours. Illinois spokesman Derrick Brunson said Garrison was cleared by doctors before he left the arena but still visited a nearby hospital for a precautionary X-ray.
The unfortunate collision overshadowed an impressive performance from Cockburn, who poured in a game-high 19 points in addition to notching 10 rebounds and four blocks. You can watch his full highlights from Wednesday night below:
Illinois' Kofi Cockburn accidentally elbows Referee Lewis Garrison. Ouch.- CollegeBB News (@CollegeBBNCAA) December 12, 2019