Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are football's Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal. Here's why
- Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are to soccer what Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal are to tennis, according to Juventus FC and former Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon.
- "Federer is infinite class, while Nadal is perseverance, sweat and also talent," Buffon told Football Italia. "Leo Messi is Federer, while Ronaldo is like Nadal."
- Messi and Ronaldo have dominated European football for years, winning a combined 61 domestic honours and five Ballon d'Or trophies each.
- In the same era, Federer and Nadal have commanded the tennis world, winning 20 and 19 Grand Slam titles respectively.
- Read more of our soccer stories here.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
"Nadal's hard work and constant desire to improve himself allowed him to be on a par with the most talented tennis player in history."The comparison is obvious and makes me smile, as Leo Messi is Federer, while Cristiano Ronaldo is like Nadal."
Federer, 38, has won 20 Grand Slam titles, whilst Nadal has won 19 - his latest coming when he beat Daniil Medvedev to secure the 2019 US Open title in September.
Buffon has also had a glistening career of his own, having won 24 major honours with Parma, Juventus, and Paris Saint Germain, in a career that has spanned almost 25 years.Read more:Advertisement
2 teenage soccer stars who once played together as children could soon become the sport's biggest rivals since Lionel Messi and Cristiano RonaldoAdvertisement
- BSEB likely to release class 10th result today at 12:30 pm, check @biharboardonline.bihar.gov.in
- How to create a bank savings account using video KYC
- South Korea reports 19 new virus cases
- WHO temporarily suspends trial of hydroxychloroquine for Covid-19
- Assam breaches 500-mark in COVID-19 cases, 156 new infections