Prince William 'sickened' as England fans racially abused Black players after Euro 2020 final loss
Prince Williamsaid he's "sickened" by racist abuse targeting England players after the Euros final.
- Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho, and Bukayo Saka were harassed online after missing penalty kicks.
- London's Metropolitan Police is investigating, according to a statement it shared on Twitter.
Prince William criticized racist abuse targeting Black players after England's
"I am sickened by the racist abuse aimed at England players after last night's match," he said on the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's Twitter account on Monday. "It is totally unacceptable that players have to endure this abhorrent behaviour. It must stop now and all those involved should be held accountable."
Italy beat England 3-2 on penalties after the match ended 1-1 with extra time.
The Metropolitan Police wrote in a statement shared on Twitter: "We are aware of a number of offensive and racist social media comments being directed towards footballers during the #Euro2020 final."
"This abuse is totally unacceptable, and it will not be tolerated and it will be investigated," the statement concluded.
This isn't the first time the Duke of Cambridge - the president of the English Football Association - has pointed out
William made a statement in January after Chelsea defender Reece James, West Bromwich Albion's Romaine Sawyers, and the Manchester United players Axel Tuanzebe, Anthony Martial, and Rashford were sent abusive messages.
"Racist abuse - whether on the pitch, in the stands, or on social media - is despicable and it must stop now," the statement read.
"We all have a responsibility to create an environment where such abuse is not tolerated, and those who choose to spread hate and division are held accountable for their actions," he added. "That responsibility extends to the platforms where so much of this activity now takes place."
- Rishi Sunak on spending spree on skills, healthcare in UK Budget
- New IPL teams: BCCI expecting anything between ₹7,000-₹10,000 crore with Adani, Goenka, Aurobindo in fray
- Chip shortage hits new brands in tough Indian laptop market
- Petrol and diesel prices hiked again by 35 paise for fifth consecutive day across the country
- India vs Pakistan at ICC T20 World Cup: The ‘Men in Blue’ have a definite advantage in this one