Wladimir Klitschko said there are 'no words' for the atrocities in Bucha, a day after posting graphic video of the scene in the town
- Wladimir Klitschko visited the town of Bucha, near Kyiv, over the weekend to see the atrocities there.
- In a tweet Monday, the former world champion boxer said there are "no words" to describe the scene.
Wladimir Klitschko, the former world heavyweight champion boxer, says there are "no words" for the events in Bucha, Ukraine, where there have been reports of mass civilian killings at the hands of Russian soldiers.
Klitschko, who is fighting in Ukraine's capital, shared graphic video footage from Bucha, a town on Kyiv's outskirts, to his Twitter account on Sunday, showing bodies of people in the street who he said were civilians that had been executed.
"They've been shot in the head, with tied hands behind their back," Klitschko said.
On Monday, he then shared a number of tweets from other accounts showing corpses on in the streets of Bucha, before giving his own short assessment of the scenes.
"There are no words for these crimes," he wrote. "But there are those responsible for these crimes."
—Klitschko (@Klitschko) April 4, 2022
He did not elaborate on the tweet Monday, but on Sunday in the video he posted to Twitter, he laid the blame on President Vladimir Putin and the Russian army.
"This is genocide of the Ukrainian population, and that's exactly what the Russian regime, Putin's regime, Russian army, is doing, killing civilians with tied hands behind their back and with a shot in their heads."
Amid the growing evidence of the alleged atrocities committed by Russian soldiers in Bucha, United States President Joe Biden called Monday for Russia President Vladimir Putin to be tried for war crimes.
"We have to gather the information, we have to continue to provide Ukraine with the weapons they need to continue to fight, and we have to get all the detail to have a war crimes trial," he told reporters.
"This guy is brutal and what's happening in Bucha is outrageous."
United Kingdom Prime Minister Boris Johnson also responded to the reported civilian deaths on Twitter, writing: "The discovery of more mass graves outside Kyiv is sickening. The UK will not stand by whilst this indiscriminate and unforgivable slaughter takes place.
"We are working to ensure those responsible are held to account. We will not rest until justice is done."
—Boris Johnson (@BorisJohnson) April 4, 2022
The bodies of around 410 civilians have been found in towns near Kyiv which have been recently recaptured, Ukrainian officials said, per the Associated Press. Around 300 bodies were found in mass grave in Bucha, the town's mayor, Anatoly Fedoruk, said over the weekend.
Russia's Ministry of Defense denied responsibility for the deaths in a Sunday Telegram post, accusing Ukraine of staging the footage and calling the scene a "hoax."
Satellite images out of Bucha obtained by The New York Times, however, showed that some of the bodies had been lying in the streets of the town for more than three weeks.
- Indian startup founders celebrate Paytm’s success as company posts first operating profit
- Kim Jong Un abruptly reappears after 36 days out of the spotlight and orders North Korea to 'prepare for war'
- OpenAI makes a ChatGPT-like tool called Codex that can write software. Here's why Codex won't replace developers and will instead create more demand for their skills.
- Adani Power's Q3 profit plunges 96% to Rs 9 cr as expenses rise
- After an Ather 450X catches fire, the company says its battery is safe — fire was due to a wiring harness issue
- CCTV camera for home with mobile connectivity for 2023
- Best smartwatches under ₹3000
- Now, tourists from G20 countries will get to use UPI instead of cash in India