Steve Bannon went to Hong Kong for his first big post-White House speech, and it sounded surprisingly nice to China
Win McNamee/Getty Images
The speech, at an investment conference hosted by Chinese government-backed CLSA, focused heavily on economic issues facing the US but also addressed other political issues facing parts of the Asian-Pacific region.
According to Wei Du, an reporter at Singapore-based Channel New Asia, Bannon said the US was in an "economic war" with other countries - including Japan, China, and South Korea. But Bannon did praise the Chinese economic system and spoke about the "affinity" between the US and the Chinese dating back to World War II.
Bannon is generally considered to be more protectionist and drove anti-trade efforts, particularly against China, during his time in the White House, making his tone Tuesday a bit unexpected.
Bannon said China's "way of running their economic system is quite brilliant," according to Du, and that "there isn't a world leader" Trump respects more than Chinese President Xi Jinping. The Chinese economic system blends a mix of a capitalist structure with strong state-control over many of the largest businesses including the financial system.
In addition to the global economic system, Bannon also addressed the US political climate.
According to CNN, who spoke to an investor in the room, Bannon said he would have advised President Donald Trump against making the deal with Democrats that raised the debt ceiling and extended government funding for three months as well as providing billions of dollars for Hurricane Harvey relief.
- From marketing and tech to leadership - learn new skills and explore new possibilities with these Udemy courses
- Facebook and Microsoft aren’t the only ones creating a metaverse — here are five popular coins looking to create digital worlds
- Loaded Lion NFT sells for $1 million — three days after launching at $200
- Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio hikes prices of its plans by 21%
- Facebook, Microsoft and others look towards the $1 trillion dollar ‘metaverse’ opportunity — but that contradicts the base philosophy behind Web 3.0
- Paytm Q2 result — Operational revenue crosses ₹1000 crore, loss widens by ₹37 crore
- These Indian states have the highest number of international airports; UP tops the list
- Centre raises Bengal labour budget for creation of 27 cr man-days