Billionaire investor Bill Ackman laments his nixed SPAC deal, sounds the inflation alarm, and predicts a massive economic boom in a new interview. Here are the 12 best quotes
Bill Ackmandiscussed his SPACdeal's demise and said he's already eyeing substitute targets.
Pershing Squarechief predicted higher interest rates and a post-pandemic economic boom.
- Ackman also rang the
inflationalarm, pointing to soaring house prices and rising wages.
The billionaire investor and Pershing Square chief also sounded the alarm on soaring house prices and wage inflation, forecasted an interest-rate hike in the coming months, and trumpeted
Here are Ackman's 12 best quotes from the interview, lightly edited and condensed for clarity:
1. "I moved heaven and earth to make the deal happen, until the government put their foot down and said no." - referring to the agreement he struck for
2. "The SEC raised a deal killer. They said the transaction did not meet the NYSE SPAC rules. I would call that a dagger in the heart of the transaction, it put Tontine in a very awkward spot." - Ackman later added that he wasn't criticizing the SEC and he respected the agency's judgment.
3. "For our investors' trouble, we gave them a gift. Complexity's okay if you're getting something for free." - referring to his plan to grant rights to PSTH shareholders to buy into his proposed SPARC vehicle at a fixed price.
4. "Owning a royalty on people listening to music is really a great place to be." - touting Pershing Square's future investment in Universal Music now that PSTH isn't buying a stake.
5. "Netflix is amazing but they have to spend billions and billions of dollars to create content that is not so valuable the day after you watch it. Music content is really forever."
6. "The good news is we have a running start. We talked to a lot of people. We can easily reengage in those conversations." - commenting on PSTH's prospects of closing a SPAC deal within the next 18 months.
7. "There are a number of companies that we started a dialogue with a year ago that weren't ready to go public. There are some family-owned businesses where the family was not ready. A year is a long time and family owners get older, they make different decisions about estate planning. I think we're gonna find something interesting to do." - suggesting potential increases in capital-gains and inheritance taxes could push business owners to sell to PSTH.
8. "Think of the
9. "You take antibiotics for other kinds of infections, you take other drugs, why won't you have a vaccine?" - noting that the vaccine's side effects are less dangerous than the virus.
10. "People are done - I am - with being in a cave, hiding from the rest of the world. They wanna go out, they're gonna have fun, they're gonna go to restaurants. You're gonna see a massive economic boom. We're going to have an extremely strong economy come the fall. We could see a really, really strong 2022."
11. "There's very, very significant inflation. You're seeing house prices go way up - you have to have a friend who knows the CEO in order to buy a home. There's real wage inflation that's not transitory at all. Trying to get people to come work in a hotel, work in a restaurant is harder now because of some of the stimulus. You're going to have to pay people to come to work."
12. "You've had $5 trillion of stimulus, you have an increase in wages, you have a lot of savings, you have the stimulus of a lot of people being vaccinated around the same time. All of these things lead to massive, massive economic growth and demand and we still have an extremely accommodative Federal Reserve. Short-term interest rates are going to have to go up a lot faster than people think. We're going to see meaningfully higher yields."
- Google’s birthday: Here's a look at the significant milestones in Google's 23-year history
- Aditya Birla AMC IPO’s grey market premium stands at ₹70 per share; up 10% from issue price band
- WATCH: "Someone said I am good enough to be a rickshaw puller," shares Freshworks CEO Girish Mathrubootham in a candid chat
- Paras Defence and Space Technologies IPO: Here’s how to check allotment status
- MyGlamm has set aside $100 million to acquire 6 beauty and personal care brands under new entity
- After Moderna chief, Pfizer CEO says COVID-19 likely to end in a year
- Like many 23-year-olds, Google is facing ‘trust’ issues
- COVID-19: Mizoram's positivity rate at 32% after 1,659 new cases registered in the state